Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacbookAir screen defect

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I'm not sure if this is a fatal flaw -- could be::

This Macbook Air has been around from early-adopter days. It has a strip 22 characters wide from the top of the screen to the bottom in which the display is unreadable. I can move the window from one side to the other to read the whole screen, and when I take a screen shot, the picture looks normal. Sometimes it is worse than others. There is some "jiggle" to it. At its worst, rebooting the machine has made it somewhat better. It has gotten worse over the last year.

I don't have an external monitor, but it is present across all users as well as log-in screen. With screen shots showing no display defect and the defect being present in all apps as well as home screens, is there any chance it could be anything else?

I am relishing this because another member replied with additional troubleshooting (which had been done) and I am hoping to get a geek to help out.

Thank you for all you do!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi amusinglisa, sorry that you have had to wait for a reply.
The symptoms that you describe could be the display data cable being either loose or damaged, checking this is a substantial undertaking and is normally best left to a suitably qualified Tech, however there are guides available (see link) that will help you decide if you wish to undertake the task yourself http://ifixit.com/pdf/guide_855_en.pdf we will also offer guidance should you require it.