Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound

• Please log in to reply

armchair_archie

armchair_archie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All,
I have a problem with sound. I can hear music thats on my pc, from games videos etc with no problem, but cannot hear anything played on the web.
Im a big fan of music sites (spotify, lastfm etc), but i can only hear those because i have to download their programme.
Now that Spotify has seriously restricted how much i can listen to, i looked at grooveshark, trouble is i cant hear any sound.

Im not even sure where to begin with this, i've already downloaded the latest drivers for motherboard and soundcard to no avail.
Have you experienced this before? Do you have any other suggestions (apart from getting another pc)?

cheers

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey armchair_archie! Welcome to G2G!

Please try the following and see if it works for you.

How To Fix:
  • Go to Start and select Run and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.
  • Navigate to the following key by using the + to expand the folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • Now right-click on the heading Drivers32 and select New -> String Value
  • Call this new String Value wavemapper.
  • Now double-click the wavemapper entry you just created and for the Value field, type in msacm32.drv and click OK.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try watching a video on youtube again. (You might have to reboot your PC)

Fenor

armchair_archie

armchair_archie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Fenor,
Thanks for taking time to help.
I navigated as per instructions and the wavemapper was already there.
I edited anyway just in case - but no changes.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you listening to music on GrooveShark through their webpage? If so, try another browser and see if you still have the same issue.

armchair_archie

armchair_archie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i've tried on chrome, ie8, FF4 - nothing works
but the really wierd thing is that occasionally i'll come across a website where the sound deafults to quicktime player - and it works!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Couldn't tell you then. Hopefully someone else who reads this topic can help you out.

armchair_archie

armchair_archie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no problem - appreciate you trying.
thanks