Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

tomihill

tomihill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
My computer was working fine, and then the other day I went to turn it on and there was nothing, no green light on, nothing. It won't come on at all. It's as if it's not even plugged in, but it is, and the outlet works fine. The computer just won't come on. It's a fairly new computer too, not much older than a year. It's a Dell Insperion PC. It's hooked up to a UPS, and the green light is on, so the UPS appears to be working. Should I take the computer to Comp USA, or do you have a better idea. I don't know anything about computers. I heard about you in a woman's magazine.
Thank You

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your PSU has failed.
When you turn it on does the fan inside the PSU turn?
Do you smell like a electrical smell?

tomihill

tomihill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for responding. When I push the button to turn it on nothing happens, no light, no fan running, no smell, absolutely nothing. As I said, nothing happens when I try to turn it on. It will not come on or do anything. What is a PSU?
Thank You

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU is the Power Supply Unit.
The electric from the wall to where it plugs into your system is the PSU. Go HERE and you can see the location and how to remove and replace the PSU.
Did you by chance have a power outage or maybe a electrical storm in your area that night when you last were able to use your system?