Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new powerhouse lags and drags

• Please log in to reply

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i replaced a 6 year old hp with a bad heatsinc with a zt 6 core 8 gig ddr2 machine.
it lags and drags.
i am not a gamer and run nothing extra hard.
windows 7 office 2010 (outlook and word) ie8 and mozzilla 3.6 the only thing unusual is a magic jack phone. molorola wireless modem attached to 5 million per second cable service. hardwire directly into the machine.
symptoms: if i steam a radio show it stops, can not keep up even though buffered.
i can have a page of online mail on the screen and looking at it totally loaded. i can try to click a checkbox to delete a unwanted email and it starts the little blue circle like it is loading and the screen goes to a half white like there is something over the screen. it will eventually turn back to clear and allow me to click the check box.
i can be doing a survey that has radio buttons to click a choice of answers and go to click one and it goes to the little blue circle and the half white screen.
sometimes you can click the little "x" to close a tab or window and you can sit counting off seconds before it closes. the longest ever i counted to 23 before the window closed.
now, i have cerebral palsy and type with one finger and sometimes a thumb for capitals on my one relatively good hand. i can be typing in word or outlook or on a screen in online mail in a browser. i can look up at the screen and it will be stopped at mybe half my sentance and i have to wait until it puts the rest on the screen. i find it inconceivable that a 6 core 8 gig machine can not put words on the screen faster than i can type.
what has been tried. cable moden changed by cable company and they say all is well with the cable. this was all tec h support at ZT Systems could sugeast. ZT S ystes did take it back and replaced the hard drive in a attempt to help. it did not help

what is the possible causes for this. the old 6 year old machine was better had the heat sinc not went bad.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disabling magic jack...then reboot

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
okay, we'll run without the telephone for a while. we thought it should run better with 6 core. i'll let you know.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
see how it runs without MJ...if it runs good again you know it MJ screwing up the parade...
FYI...its both easy and cheap to replace a heatsink and fan...about $20.00 and about 15 minutes of your time

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
crap, the computer "tech" here told me it would cost more than the computer was worth to put in the heat sinc because it involved the motherboard. i will not even get into what i payed for the new one.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OKAY THE MAGIC JACK SEEMED NOT TO MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE, HOWEVER IT WAS HARD TO TELL AS SHORTLY AFTER , oops sorry about the caps lock. anyway shortly after disconnectig the magic jack, the cable dropped for a full 5 minutes and cableone online people sent someone out who admitted that the cable was having hicups of a second or two up to the 5 minute one that got him dispatched. however the problem could be on our street, our neighborhood or even several neighbor hoods and is going to require time to find where the problems are at. so i think maybe i need to let cable one get the cable problem worked out now that they admit there is a problem and then if there are still some machine problems after that i'll repost.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)
after they are done "fixing it " ...go here ...check your speed on at least 3 different servers and at least one should be far away from where you are...write down results...

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
THANKS, I'LL DO THAT. I DO WISH I KNEW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE THEM, BUT HE SAID HE COULD NOT SAY HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO ISOLATE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS ACTUALLY LOCATED.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run the speed tests now...

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
SEATTLE 5.38 DOWNLOAD 0.42 UPLOAD

Dallas 5.42 download 0.55 upload

New York 5.43 Download 0.55 upload

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you watch the meter as they were running...did you notice if they paused at all or did they run smooth...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you want to we can start with a few tweaks that will give the new computer a speed bump...

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they just don't launch at startup...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck...allow indexing on this drive..and compress files...if it ask about sufolders... say yes

if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit...
back up your registry first before doing these tweaks using erunt

Whenever XP reads a file, it stamps the file with the date and time of the access. This feature has its place but is not required for normal use unless you rely on the date of last access for backup purposes, which is a rare requirement for most backups. Putting a timestamp a file that has just been read means that a write access has to be made to disk, so every time a read is executed, a corresponding write is also executed.

click START...RUN...type in ...cmd ...then press enter

At the command prompt...type in

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1...press enter

if you ever need timestamps like for work
To turn timestamps back on, repeat the command but replace the 1 with 0

To clean your temp folder, Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer here...

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
there were short stops and goes. at all three sites

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i have carbonite backup service. i do not know if it uses anything affected by the tweaks. i got it before the first hard disk replacement by ZT because i suspected they were going to ask me to ship it back to them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if carbonite backup service does incremental backups then do not use the
FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1. tweak...
all the others will be fine...
the stopping and going are probably why your getting hiccups trying to stream things...
have you run all your malware tools...update them first...did they find anything
what tools do you have installed for virus and malware protection