Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop goes straight to black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Collusia

Collusia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop is an Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista operating system.

Previously my computer had viruses and a trojan which stopped it from working so I switched it to safe mode and attempted to remove the problem with Webroot and Malwarebytes. This seemed to have worked but everytime I tried to start normally the system would run slow and then crash forcing me to go to safe mode and run a virus scan and deletion again.

Now, when I attempt to activate my laptop the first Dell screen comes on with the white loading bar on bottom comes up but all that remains after that is a black screen with a blinking cursor. Anytime I attempt to use a function key the machine merely beeps and the cursor remains blinking. I have my files backupped on an external so I can get a new computer if that is the only option but I would like to save this one if possible.

Advertisements