Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Help Please

• Please log in to reply

JeremyMB

JeremyMB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, so I've been wanting to do a System Restore on my Computer for awhile now, but I don't want to use the Regular System Restore that you can use in the Control Panel, I want to restore it to where I bought it, I don't want / need any personal files I have on it, I just want it reset to brand new basically, I have a Dell - Emachines Computer, I read on E Machines Support about a "Full System Restore, which says Full System Restore (Destructive) reformats the hard drive and
restores the system software as it was when you purchased
your computer. Your data files are not restored with this
process.

Does this mean I will not be able to use my Computer again or what...I'm confused, again all I want is to restore my Computer to the first time I logged on, I don't want or need any personal files on my computer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I have a Dell - Emachines Computer

Ummm, no you don't. Dell does not make eMachines. Gateway bought eMachines, then Acer bought Gateway. Dell is a totally separate manufacturer.

Does this mean I will not be able to use my Computer again or what...

No. It means what it says,

restores the system software as it was when you purchased your computer

So, once you determine the exact make and model of your computer and are sure you have the necessary procedures understood, and the necessary disks (if required - some makers use optical disks, some use hidden partitions on the drive - assuming that has never been deleted), then if all goes well, it should take you back to when you first turned it on.

HOWEVER - a full system restore is normally a last ditch effort to fix a broken computer. A full restore sets you back months, if not years in security updates and patches and nothing is learned to prevent the problem from recurring. Perhaps if you told us why you want to take it back, we can help fix the computer instead.