Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

l2silver

l2silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to format a laptop hard drive with windows xp. I got about halfway through the procedure before the computer crashed. Now whenever I restart the computer I get the asus logo and then it goes straight to a black screen with a blinking cursor. No functionality from this point.

Any ideas? I don't think it's the hard drive because it was working on another computer through my external hard drive.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Hi l2silver :)
Can you still get into the BIOS on boot up and if so what is the boot order, is the HDD detected?

l2silver

l2silver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can't do anything. Just shows asus logo, then straight to black blinking cursor. All I can do is restart the computer. I'm thinking this might be a damaged motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
How are you tying to get into the BIOS, tapping F2, F8 or Del on boot up?
The Asus logo is stored on the BIOS chip, the black screen may be a HDD issue including the lack of an OS and drivers installed on it.
When you tried to do the format had the laptops boot sequence been changed in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive 1st and the HDD 2nd, is the XP disk a genuine version, did it come with the laptop and what version is it XP home, Pro etc?

l2silver

l2silver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the xp pro is not genuine.

I'm able to get into the bios (by mashing del and f8!)

I changed the boot device to cd. Seems to be working now. I'm gonna nuke the hard drive and try installing it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.