Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Clicking

• Please log in to reply

Ashtray

Ashtray

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

I am running on a Dell desktop with XP. My pc is 5+ years old and I have probably reinstalled Windows once or twice since having it.

I have been having this double clicking/posting issue for awhile now. I couldn't tell you how long, though.

I thought it was an internet issue, because it hasn't been very stable as of lately. So I thought maybe my internet was "hiccuping" as I was trying to single click.

I have ran Spybot and Avast to make sure there weren't any malicious things going on. Yet, it's still happening.

How do I get rid of this annoying doubling?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You need to be more specific. What exactly are you clicking? Does every click result in a double click? Does it double click on the Start menu? Folders? All shortcuts?

Ashtray

Ashtray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
You're right, I should of added that.

It double clicks all of that, but that's on purpose.

I'm talking about webpages and stuff like that, like if I were to make a forum post.. it will sometimes double post on my end.

I'm thinking it's my shaky internet, because someone noticed I was logging on and off on a different website, not on purpose. It could happen between those shaky times, right?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

because someone noticed I was logging on and off on a different website, not on purpose

That sounds suspicious to me. Have you scanned for malware?

I was going to suggest a different mouse. Over time, the return springs get weak and can cause the button to bounce on the contacts causing multiple clicks. But that would have nothing to do with logging on and off at other sites without you initiating it. I suggest you have our malware removal folks make sure your system is clean. See and follow the instructions here: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide.