Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\windows missing in Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

drewber1

drewber1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dell Precision 390 computer.

daughter turned off comp w/o shutting down. Next day get hal.dll missing error.

Comp was installed with 2 partitions, a system restore partition (D and windows (c.

Per advice from other forums, I went into XP Recovery Console ® and started to go through the process. However, I only had 1 choice of installation to select: C:/Minint. C:\windows was not an option. Since I was not really sure what Minint was and because I could not see any of my Windows folders, I decided not to do anything in Recovery Console.

I loaded UCBD and i was able to see 2 partitions on my 80GB drive a 3.9GB partition NTSF and 74.1GB unallocated partition (which used to be my windows folders).

Now I've been messing around with a bunch of different programs on UCBD and Hiren's Boot Disk, but I'm not able to see any of my Windows folders.

At this point I've gone from a Repair mindset to a Recover Data mindset. I just want to get c:\windows back and get my data.

on top of that, hal.dll error is gone but replaced with NTLDR missing error. I've not been able to fix that either.

Thoughts? HELP?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are receiving help on two other sites as well as this post here. on GeekstoGo.

Please do not think I am saying you have done anything wrong by posting on the three sites, but may I suggest you stay with the threads you have replied to on the other two forums.

Basically at this stage the recommendation from me would be to recover your personal data first., before attempting any further repair.

If you do have to come back here, Hirens cannot be discussed on this site, as it contains unlicensed software and its use, or discussion is not allowed.

If that NTSF which is probably NTFS (New Technology File System) 3.9Gb partition is the recovery partition, then that will restore BUT ONLY to the original condition, eg. All data and programs, EVERYTHING that was not there when the computer was originally sold will be lost.

I wish you the best of luck. It is I think pointless proceeding with further information , as it is well nigh impossible to follow advice on THREE sites at the same time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 May 2011 - 03:25 PM.