Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restorer Virus - PC now continually Restarting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

slinger1937

slinger1937

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My PC continually starts to the Windows XPPro screen and then reboots. I am certain it is Windows Restore because it appeared on my screen, and I activated it before I realised what I had done.

I have downloaded OTLPEStd.exe and reached the stage where a REATOGO-X-PE desktop has appeared on my bad PC.

I am way out of my depth here, although I can follow instructions.

But I am at a complete loss on how to Find, Copy, and Paste the long list of .dll, sys and other files to my Flash drive to get them to the bad PC.

I cannot find them in C:\ of the good PC.

Thank you.

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello slinger1937 and welcome to G2G! :)

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within 3 days or your topic will be closed

Step 1

Boot OTLPE on infected PC. Wait until you see REATOGO-X-PE desktop.

• Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\\OTL.txt file in your reply.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.