Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to update to Vista SP2

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

I have a fresh install of Vista, and I need to upgrade to Service Pack 2. Well... I don't "need" to, but I'd like to. Anyway, windows update takes forever to load, it basically freezes for a bit an then loads with the following error: "Error(s) found, 80080005"

So I downloaded the service pack 2 installer from Microsoft's website and tried that. Nope! "Catastrophic failure! Error E_UNEXPECTED(0x8000ffff)"

Here the info I have on this install of Windows Vista.
Recently I had a nasty problem that corrupted the windows install on my old hard drive, so instead of wiping my data and installing Vista again, I bought a new hard drive and started from scratch. A thing to note, it would not let me repair my install of Vista, or else I would have tried to do that instead.

Anyway, here I am on a fresh new hard drive, I popped in volume 1 of 2 of my Windows recovery DVDs and began the install. We get to the first restart, and I think it's going to ask me for disc 2 of 2, but it asks me for the drivers DVD that came with my recovery discs, I feed that in and it seems like nothing at all happens for like... half an hour. Eventually it says the computer needs to be restarted, so I click ok, and it restarts. Not once did it ask me for that second DVD... weird... But Windows seems to be working fine, except for that anomaly. [bleep], I decided to install a game for the first time in a while and put on Portal 2, which worked like a charm!

So, anything I can do to be able to get this machine to update to SP2?

Advertisements

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I should update, I am running Vista 64bit, and here are my machine specs;
http://www.asus.com/...owerhouse/G71G/

EDIT: Should I just suck it up and take the financial hit, and buy Windows 7? Should I just buy the Upgrade version? That is the only one I can afford...

Edited by Mumps, 04 May 2011 - 10:56 AM.