Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

uh...help...please?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Howzit all :yes:
Got a phone call from my Dad :) questioning an xp antispyware popup while reading a news article. Had a hunch it was rogue, I told him to come here and follow the directions, watch the video :unsure: Last night, he could not access the internet, so I went to the irc chat and asked, they said to have him come in safe mode with networking, no big deal, it seemed.
So today he did, and he downloaded, and tried watching the video, which he could not hear...but did download OTL It would not run. The xp antispyware popped up, in safe mode when he went to run it....so he got out, shut it down and tried again. This time, in safe mode with networking, it went bonkers. Sounds like a driver list? No chance to rename the file.. Then, he shut that down, now its just looping and not booting? The same thing happens in regular safe mode. Is there anything that can be done? I have seen the tutorial here...
Should I hwlp him do this? Help MUCH appreciated, this is my Dad, here.
A little background, he has windows xp pro...Just installed Microsoft Security Essentials a couple days ago as Norton was pau..there may be a firewall issue.? Not sure if xp firewall is on.
Thank you for your time...

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,999 posts
Still having issues with this computer? Who has the computer?

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi! :) Thank you! Wow..you are busy here.
Yes, he is, its my Fathers, and he has it. I have access to him by phone, if I need to get him programs to try, I'll have to put them on a stick and take them to him.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,999 posts
In order to be able to work with a non bootable computer, the victim must have a working computer next to it, so we can effectively communicate. The deal of communicating with him by phone and carry on instructions back and forth in a flash drive doesn't seem to be effective. Can you bring the computer home?

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
I'll work on that..he has an old latop around, he's going to see if that works so he can do this instead. If not, he said I can get his and bring it here. Its gonna take me a day, maybe two, I'll post back as soon as I know if he can use the laptop or I pick his up. Thank you very much for helping. I really appreciate it..and if you know...whats with the muchroom?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,999 posts
:)

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi ..quick update, first off, Thank You for your help :unsure: Next, right now, the computer is sitting as is, or was. I'm still waiting for my Dad's decision on what he is going to exactly do. I'll definately get back here as soon as I know for sure. As I'm pretty sure I'm going to need your help. Mahalo :)

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,999 posts
No problem. Let me know when ready. :)