Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Video Card in Fall Battlefield 3

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Ok guys, here is what I'm lookin at for the end of summer into early fall.

Here are the two cards I'm looking at to compare and contrast:
XFX HD6970
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150531
XFX HD6990
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150529

What I'm looking at is what is compatible with my current system.

I just purchased a new powersupply recently XFX brand 700w or 750W, I'll have more info on it soon.
I have about a year and a half old system. Right now it supports an HD4890 graphics card. I have 8 gigs of dual channel ddr2 memory, and athalon Operton quad core 3.2 processor. (Full specs will be updated in my signature.)

What I'm looking for is to support flawlessly BF3 and be competetive for a few years after. I'm also considering price. In the hope that the 6990 comes down in price at the end of the summer or early fall, then I would definitely go after it if I can support it.

Thoughts? and thanks!

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
ok, my signature is up to date with my current system. I was reviewing the 6990 again and i noticed it had two cores. Is that similiar to a dual core processor, but just on a video card? Meaning it can process more information? Can anyone give me a simple comparison on what it's like? Is it like having crossfire set up, better worse?