Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No speakers or dial up modem installed

• Please log in to reply

walkwyba

walkwyba

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Vista Home Premium. Several months ago my speakers and dial up modem both stopped working. Neither appear in the Device Manager at all, like they've completely disappeared. I've been searching for a solution and have tried re-installing the drivers several times, but nothing works. The correct drivers are already installed, the computer just doesn't think it has the hardware to go with them. HP tech help thinks it's a hardware problem, but that doesn't add up for me. I think it has to be a Vista issue, but not sure how to fix it. Just a few days ago after a windows update, everything worked....for about an hour or so. Then back to the same old thing...."No audio ouput device in installed". Appreciate any advice!! Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I tend to agree with HP, a hardware problem.
Vista is fairly reliable where Device Manager is concerned. If an installed device isn't shown & no driver errors are listed there either, then the device itself has a fault.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 May 2011 - 10:04 AM.

walkwyba

walkwyba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help. I'm curious if the sound card and dial up modem are related in any way, as they seem to disappear and re-appear at the same time for some reason. Thanks!