Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to open default e-mail folders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dubber Dan

Dubber Dan

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Got a user who was unable to see a particular pc on the network from one particular pc and hence was unable to print to that pc's printer. All other users were fine so it pointed to a profile problem.

Tried deleting the roaming profile off the pc and server, recreated but that didn't do it. So I thought I'd try creating a new competely new username/profile on the server, set that username as the default in Exchange and then logged on as user to the pc.

Logged on fine, could browse to the other pc and also install the printer. Configured Outlook and the name resolved fine. But when I try to open Outlook I get a message to say "Unable to open default e-mail folders. YOu do not have permission to log on"!!!!!!!!!!!

How can this be as the profile is set as the primary account in exchange, the name resolved fine but just doesn't let you in??? I've tried ona couple of other pc's and the same happens.

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Dubber Dan

Dubber Dan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Tis all right... I've found the answer so in case any one else gets the prob it's:

Go to the controlpanel, open mail, delete any existing profiles. log off, log back on as the user with the new mailbox.

Go to the controlpanel, open mail, create a new outlook profile pointing to your exchange server. Everything works fine....!

Your problem is the integrated windows authentication. The outlook profile must belong to the user logged on, otherwise you will get the error:
Unable to open your default email folders, you do not have permission to log on.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for sharing your resolution Dan, as it may help others having the same problem. <_<