Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

extremely slow computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters\Options\15\RegLocation
old REG_MULTI_SZ =
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\?\DhcpDomain
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters\DhcpDomain

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{70100905-5CC4-4A00-9CE9-F68BCBD1F4B5}\NameServerList
old REG_MULTI_SZ =
<empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{70100905-5CC4-4A00-9CE9-F68BCBD1F4B5}\NetbiosOptions
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{C8FB8631-14EB-4BD0-9EBA-74664FE3AF1E}\NameServerList
old REG_MULTI_SZ =
<empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{C8FB8631-14EB-4BD0-9EBA-74664FE3AF1E}\NetbiosOptions
added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{CD29240C-327E-49E8-ABE5-FFC653F9F9BB}\NetbiosOptions
added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{EA219350-B25F-4304-B0A7-CA6C15D25C3F}\NetbiosOptions
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\DisableDynamicUpdate
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\TcpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\UdpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{70100905-5CC4-4A00-9CE9-F68BCBD1F4B5}\NameServer
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C8FB8631-14EB-4BD0-9EBA-74664FE3AF1E}\NameServer
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01E51028&REV_02\4&B7B19ED&0&48A4. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

<completed>

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{42D80C86-BF0B-4AC4-84DE-D0C2A39E15BE}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
<completed>

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you try again now please :)

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
what do you want me to try? sorry

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yahoo mail please - sorry I knew what I wanted :unsure: but you are not a mind reader :)

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
lol it keeps dropping the page and recovering the tab...after a couple times trying to refresh..it stops and gives me the website error message

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There was a similar problem to this a year or so ago with Yahoo mail - although no resolution was ever found... But having said that I can access with no problem

What addons do you have in IE8 ?

Could you disable the AVG addon and see if that helps

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
AVG shows that outlook is the only mail add on i have. i guess i'm not sure how to check yahoo mail for any add ons, or ie 8. sorry.
and once i got yahoo mail working...it is ok.

Edited by greghoffman, 05 May 2011 - 03:10 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
A couple of piccies to assist :)

Go to control panel > Internet options
Select the programs tab

Select Toolbars and extensions
Then select and disable each one in turn

Then retry Yahoo mail

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
disable them one at a time and try yahoo mail? or disable all of them and try yahoo mail?

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
i'll have to play with add ons tomorrow. day is done here and i need a drink!!! again, i could never thank you enough for all your help. i'll attempt the next things you want me to do in the morning. good evening...:)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Enjoy :unsure: I am of to bed now 'tis late in Cornwall :)

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
rest well my friend, i shall enjoy some of your finest export....boddingtons pub ale, one of my favorite elixers...too bad i only have 8 of them on hand. thank you again for your help, i would be lost without you. amazing though, my 8 year old laptop is set up almost identical to my work comp and even with the slowest processor known to man, it works flawlessly. slow,but no dropped pages in yahoo mail.

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
well...my work comp is running flawlessly again this morning..for that i thank you very much. my home laptop is another story. it's old but my mum-n-law had it and she clicked on every pop up that ever showed itself on the screen. i know something is wrong with a directory ? called old c/ ? in order for me to make it work again, i had to reinstall windows xp over whatever was on it and i think itneeds some help.it is slower than molasses and cannot run more than 1 program at a time. any help would be appreciated. have a great weekend.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets remove my tools from the lappie and get to work on your mothers :unsure:

Subject to no further problems :yes:

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Posted Image

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe :)

Time for Mother

Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

THEN

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets remove my tools from the lappie and get to work on your mothers :unsure:

Subject to no further problems :yes:

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Posted Image

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe :)

Time for Mother

Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

THEN

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs