Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a Driver for the Modem On a Dimension 2400

• Please log in to reply

dmmackay

dmmackay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had just reinstalled Windows Xp on a Dell Dimension 2400.

After doing so, I tried to download the software from NetZero to connect to the internet,(Which is $9.95/month for Dial Up) but I get the message that it can't find the Modem.

In the Device Manager, I see under Other:

Serveral things (with a Yellow ?!):

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Input Device
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compat.)

I think the smart thing to do is to get the Modem running for the Internet and then allow the internet to select and install the rest of the drivers automatically.

So I'm wondering what driver do I use, and how to install it.

I think I would Go to Device Manager and Click the DEVICEClick Install Driver
And since the internet can't install it, I would have to Click Install From a Specific Location
And I will pick the Driver to Install.

Do I just need one driver installed Being PCI Modem and/ or Ethernet Conrtoller?

Thanks, Any help would be Greatly Appreciated, and for now I'll just use the resources at the library to MUDDLE through it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try HERE and start with the chipset driver.
That will take care of the:
  • SM Bus Controller
  • PCI Input Device
  • PCI Modem
  • Video Controller (VGA Compat.)

If not then you will need to get the video, communication and network drivers. Make sure to get them in that order also.

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the advice on installing the Chipset Software Installation Utility first.

I'm a little unsure how to install it. :)

It was recommended that I click on the left side of the download from the Dell Site, and use the IE Option to Download. Perhaps because I'm not on the Dell Dimension Computer. But in order to do that I guess I need to INSTALL the .NET framework first ( which using Dial up will take about 2 hours as it tells me), and then hopefully download it to a flash.

I'm not sure how to install it. Do I need to go to the DEVICE MANAGER, and select the DEVICE and click UPDATE/INSTALL and choose the FLASH drive/ or do I simply download it on the flashdrive and click INSTALL/RUN from the computer? And it will automatically install it to the device?

With the Chipset Software Driver being the first to install, which device do I choose to install it to; if any? Of do I simply RUN it?

And lastly,

I did run a "Hardware Helper" Scan as I was unsure which drivers to choose, and the scan told me that I need these Drivers:

Broadcom 440 Integrated Controller Driver ( not sure about)
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (I could find)
Analog Devices ADI 198X Integrated Audio Drivers (I could find)
AGAIN: Intel Chipset I.U.Driver (I could find)
Intel Graphics Midia Accelerator Driver. (not sure about)

As for the Broadcom 440, and looking at the 73 Drivers in the various Categories, I found under the Network Section two that look like possibilities:

Braodcom-Diagnostic Utility
4401 Integrated NIC and;

Broadcom Driver
4401 Integrated NIC

so I don't know if either of those are a match; nor Which ORDER(after the Chipset) it should be installed or how to install it. ( Choose the Device and Install it Manually from the Flash Drive? or Simply from the Flash Drive/ RUN/INSTALL On My Computer)

I'm pretty sure after installing the FIRST ONE I will have the knack of installing it, but NOT the ORDER of INSTALLATION for the DRIVERS and which they belong to.

Any further instructions would again, be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks for your help. :unsure:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm not sure how to install it. Do I need to go to the DEVICE MANAGER, and select the DEVICE and click UPDATE/INSTALL and choose the FLASH drive/ or do I simply download it on the flashdrive and click INSTALL/RUN from the computer? And it will automatically install it to the device?

If the file has a setup or install file then you would use that. If it is like a inf file then right click on it and see if there is a install command there.

With the Chipset Software Driver being the first to install, which device do I choose to install it to; if any? Of do I simply RUN it?

See above

Broadcom 440 Integrated Controller Driver ( not sure about)

Nic card or network driver

Broadcom Driver
4401 Integrated NIC

This one :)

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I seem to be having trouble downloading the driver:
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for my Dell 2400.

I tried a computer at the library, and I got the message about needing .NET Framework before I could download the Driver. The computer at the library would not allow me to do that.

I tried a laptop,and the same thing, I Must download .Net Framework, and it would not install it.

Does anyone know how I can download the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility Driver?

Could it possibly be downloaded from another site besides DELL, without needing the .NET Framework,OR sent as an attachment?

Edited by dmmackay, 06 May 2011 - 05:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would not normally do this but here you go
Go HERE and get the Drivers Rar file. Unzip it and you will find what you should need :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 28 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.