Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is booting from USB possible in my old system?

• Please log in to reply

fish_hook

fish_hook

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Dear all,

I have have a 6 years-old Toshiba laptop and everything is running well except for the dead CD/DVD drive. My only worry here is that one day I might end up with an unbootable system and need to boot from the recovery disc or some PE.

It happened once when I got caught in a reboot loop and the Ubuntu DVD helped me to solve that.

I tried looking inside the BIOS setup and I don't see any boot from USB. All I have is HDD, FDD (I don't have a floppy drive since the day I got the laptop), and PXE. Say I got into that trouble of booting up again and my drive's dead, does that mean I wouldn't be able to do anything even if I have a USB CD/DVD drive?

I'm saving for a new computer so I'm not planning to replace the drive. :) ?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I'm saving for a new computer so I'm not planning to replace the drive

If that is the case, then just make sure you keep a current backup of your important data. You may need to do this via your network connect to a network attached drive or another computer, or via one of the "cloud" storage" sites.

fish_hook

fish_hook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I support there isn't a workaround as far as the system's concerned.

Thanks Digerati.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.