Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lexbce Server

• Please log in to reply

dc56

dc56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer a Dell 4600, was purchased last August slong with a Dell printer A920. Recently, I have not been able to connect to the internet without the computer freezing. Ctrl, Alt, Del has no impact. It must be rebooted.

I determined, through the process of elimination, that Lexbce Server shown in services via msconfig, must be disabled to allow me to connect.

If I disable it, I no longer have any printers, not the A920, fax, image writer, etc.

I've uninstalled the printer, restarted in safe mode and attempted to delete the offending file. Didn't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I've spent way too much time on this already!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;155516

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319127

LexBce Server LEXBCES.EXE Y This is installed by Lexmark printers, and some Dell printers which are made by Lexmark, to configure the onboard network print server. Disabling this service will make it so that print spooler service will no longer startup, which effectively disables printing on your computer.

This can be fixed by removing the LexBceS dependency. To remove the dependency you should use the following command and start the print spooler service:

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Note: Notice the space after depend= . This is necessary.

dc56

dc56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure I understand when or where I should enter that command. Could you provide some more detail?

Thank you!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, command prompt, type it then press enter you should get SUCCESS

dc56

dc56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you! I'll give it a try

dc56

dc56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried your suggestion Keith and now, with the Lexbce Server disabled I can , of course, connect and when I look into the control panel, I can now see the printers but nothing will print citing failed communication.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type services.msc then press enter, look for print spooler to check it is set to automatic, if not, double click it then change start up type to automatic, click start then apply. Then check remote procedure call, top of two, check this is set to automatic, if not, change same way.

Do you get any other error message

dc56

dc56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Both of those services were already set to automatic and had started.
I have not seen any other error messages other than the one saying that I can't print due to not communicating.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Dell say, hold the printer power button for 10 seconds to reset, make sure the printers are not on the same port, re-install the software.

If you re-install the software, run tune up between uninstall and reinstall

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up

affordable

affordable

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm having a very similar prob so i tried the sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
well it worked my spooler works now but still no printer. if you figure it out let me know plzzz!!

Rabid™

Rabid™

• Pip
  • 1 posts
you need to start the remote procedure call locator service