Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of backup folder

• Please log in to reply

Seanross

Seanross

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The computer was bogged down with malware,spyware, etc. My parents had someone come and "fix" the PC, and made a backup of everything. My Screenname was password protected. Now when trying to access my old folder from the backup.. well, I can't.

It has tons of my music and movie files in there.. I just want to access it to actual burn all of them onto a DVD in case this ever happens again ;) :tazz:

Can anyone help please ;)

I am the "family admin" of the PC. So I'll be able to go into Admin account if need be

Advertisements

Seanross

Seanross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump :tazz:

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
not sure what you man by backup folder. did the guy do a reinstall of te OS and then add the folder to the desktop of all your saved items from a disk? when you try and access the older from your current state what error message comes up? do you have admin priviladges on your account? right click on the folder and select properties. under the security tab make sure that your account is added to the list of those with access to the folder. it should already have the everyone group there but just in case it doesn't take a look...also make sure that every permission is allowed and none are denied

Edited by nestorey, 29 May 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Seanross

Seanross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea, He reinstalled Win XP..(basicall restored the com. back to factory settings) And under the C: drive there is a folder called "C:\My Backup -- 26-05-05 2137"

When you go in there it has "Documents and Settings" for all the people and "Program Files"..
When I try to access mine in the "D.A.S." it gives "C:\My Backup -- 26-05-05 2137\Documents and Settings\Sean is not Accessible" Access is denied.

I have admin priv

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
did you try checking the security settings on the folder by right-clicking it and clicking on the security tab?