Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Theft

• Please log in to reply

ozzette

ozzette

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
My neighbor set up her own wireless network with me through my router. I am old school and only use wires, but didn't disable. But the way I found out was I saw a Library named her computer listed under "Other Libraries" in my Windows Media Player. She got in and deleted it before I could disable the network. I was dumb, I confronted her to give her a chance at restitution. I disabled the network she built and it is gone, but is there ANY way I can catch her? Find that library in my computer? Find that network info in my computer? The logs were disabled in the router and there are NO records. Verizon refuses to help me, even though I found a Library named "Nancy's Computer" in my Media Player. Please help me if you can. Send me data recovery software? Check my registry, anything? I know nothing of wireless, I am so old school (I graduated in 1995 CompSci, AA degree) and never followed the career, but I can read my neighbors name in my computer. I didn't think it was possible to have Libraries in a media player with actually having access to the computer. The police are involved and interested as this woman is a menace to society. Sometimes, I would sit at my desk, hit the space bar to activate my monitor and see programs I never used pulled up. I know it happened, I just need to prove it. Thank you so much for you kind attention.

Gratefully,
d

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I hope you realize that with many ISPs it is illegal to share your network with your neighbor.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

The police are involved and interested as this woman is a menace to society.

The police are experts at this type of forensics, if they are involved and investigating , this may be needed as part of their case, I would expect the police to investgate

ozzette

ozzette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I live in a town with one stop light. The police said, get all you can and call us with the info. Our police department is not exactly bursting at the seams with officers (3 fulltime) I certainly know this is illegal and did not authorize the piggy back. I called Verizon immediately, but they used WIKIPEDIA (with screen sharing) to try to answer my question about the Media Player Library (not exactly the sharpest tack in the box, their support)and never did answer me. I do know the thief was piggybacking with another neighbor until she moved, so they know how. When confronted, she admitted her kids do use the wireless. I could see a path in network and sharing that appeared to show our computers connected. I see others' networks around here, but just the names when I click on them, you know, not Libraries and such? I also know that I would leave my desktop empty and come back, activate the monitor and explorer and media player would have windows open that I didn't open. I thought it was my boyfriend trying to be nosy, but he can't even work a cell phone or a roku box and he denied it. I believe him. I know nothing about wireless. I am dumb enough to have thought that since I hooked the router up with ethernet cables that the wireless was untouchable. Please help me, educate me, I know nothing. I don't like wireless and I don't trust it...I would never use it. I don't even know if my computer is secure. Verizon CLAIMS they turned off the wireless in the router, but what about the card in the tower? I don't know, I feel so dumb...but technology is changing so much so fast, I am proud I can get my peripherals to work and my computer clean. Heck, my family thinks I'm a genius because I can come on here, read what you tell me to do, and keep their computers clean, LOL!!!

Edited by ozzette, 06 May 2011 - 05:07 AM.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I'm confused with the fact that you shared your wireless , (which is against most domestic ISP T&Cs) and then talk about access illegal and police involved

ANYWAY ,

download and run xirrus onto a wireless enabled PC
whats the make and model of the router
Log into the router and goto the wireless section - make sure wireless is disabled and change the SSID name from its default to something unique to you

then if you enable the wireless - you will see it appear on xirrus - then disable and it will disappear - so you have confirmed its NOT broadcasting and accessibly.

Also there is often a light on the router called WLAN or wireless or with a wireless symbol to show its enabled or not

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.co...y/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.co...ad_redirect.php
Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techg...ng_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

ozzette

ozzette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I think this statement might be confusing you: "My neighbor set up her own wireless network with me through my router." That was not an accurate fact, but an assumption that she did it without my knowledge wirelessly because I wasn't protected and didn't know it. I did not authorize/allow/offer any use of my internet with her, I think she piggybacked because I was not protected. Like I admitted, I know nothing about wireless and don't want to know, but apparently I HAVE to learn some, enough to protect myself, anyway. I know there was a card in the computer because I could see others' networks before I started using the router, but I attempted to disable it when I saw others' networks. Apparently, I succeeded. I don't have a clue, honestly.

Anyway, I downloaded and ran the program...it says no adapters available, nothing on the screen. I went into the router (a linksys wireless G WRT5G V2) and enabled the wireless with the unique wireless password Verizon set up for me (which, btw, I think is their "standard", but the key/password was unique to me, kinda) and the light you mentioned on the router came on but still nothing was visible in Wi-Fi Inspector. I attempted to setup a wireless connection through network and sharing, and it said I was connected, again nothing showed up in the Inspector. Like I said, Verizon said they disabled the wireless in the router, though I couldn't begin to tell you all I saw when she did that, but she did about 6-8 steps. I refreshed, checked settings, looked for adapters available after every step but nothing showed. I have gone back into the router and disabled wireless and light on the router went out. Again, nothing shows on the Inspector. The screen never changed from the screen shot shown, even when I enabled the router and attempted to set up a network through network and sharing. Network and sharing said there was an error when it attempted to hookup wirelessly, I told it to hook up to the internet anyway, and it said I was connected, but it didn't show in Inspector (I am hardwired with the router).

WiFiscnshot.jpg

I assume (there goes that word again, huh?) that means I am safe? That is good. I think I did everything you told me to. I am a problem I admit, as I know just enough to be dangerous and not enough to actually know what is going on. Do I need to do anymore to the card in the computer? Thank you so much and I will continue to monitor the Inspector.

Now, is there any data recovery program or such that I can run to look for evidence that she did use it?

Thank you again...I am so grateful for you all. You have saved my butt many times as technology changes.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
excellent - thanks for the clarification
Clearly an issue on the PC with xirrus and seeing wireless signals - because , it cannot see a wireless adapter on the PC you installed the program onto

So version supplied the router - with a unique password - so question how did the neighbour know this - was it WPA or WPA2 type encryption - that has not benn broken, unless you use a simple dictionary word password

so I think you are fine, 1) you have a unique password on the wireless - which should NOT be a dictionary work and include both letters and numbers and 2) you have confirmed that the wireless light is at least showing you the correct status - wireless on/off
leave the wireless OFF and you will be fine

ozzette

ozzette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Verizon applied the password for the router after I discovered this. The password was not applied until yesterday. That is why I was not protected. Before it was the standard or none (my son gave the router to me and he is in the service, he can't help me...PFC Jared Skelley, USMC (sorry-very proud Marine Mom)) I don't have a clue about what you asked about WPA or WPA2 type encryption, you're talking a foreign language to me...so sorry. But their password is very simple, it is not a dictionary word, but if it is a standard they (Verizon)uses, then anybody could get it from a friend or family member. I am so afraid to try to change it. I so do not want to talk to Verizon again and if I lose internet I will have to call them to fix it. I guess I'm ok...thank you so much. You have made me feel safe, and that's what I needed. Have a great weekend! We are braving the cold and going camping here in Western PA!