Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Potential Malware Issue

• Please log in to reply

reb2hog

reb2hog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried everything I know possible, and am desperate for some help. I have avast free antivirus, and have never had an issue until now. My major problem is most of my files have been hidden, lost administrator ability even though I am the only account, and can't restore my computer because after I do a dialog pops up catalyst error and another one that says error.
System Restore failed to extract original copy of directory from restore point
Source: %SystemRoot%\Registration
ComPlusStaging

When I go into my computer, the main change I notice is my Libraries tab had deleted my Music, Pictures, Documents, and Video folders. When I search for it the folders still exist, but say the folders are empty. I know the files in those folder still exist because I can search them directly and find them. If I try to delete anything in the account C:Users/Public account an error pops up saying I need aministrator control, which I can't obtain. My C:Users/Name account, which I've alwys used has a lock on it, properties say it is read only. Again need administrative abilities to do anything.

What I've tried? I've tried the system restore, error that is explained above. I tried manually restoring folders, needed administrative ability also. Tried turning off file sharing on the network. Tried running AVAST, which couldn't come up with anything.

Any other questions I'll answer for you. Please Help!

Edited by reb2hog, 05 May 2011 - 11:48 PM.

Advertisements

reb2hog

reb2hog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump