Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 Virus/Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I reran OLT and did a cleanup. Again it asked if I wanted to reboot and I clicked OK and again it got stuck at - Processing deleteself - I let it run for 90 minutes to no avail and then I shutdown myself.

I ran TFC and it ran for a while and then asked to reboot and I shutdown and restarted and again I got these 3 lines

Configuring Windows update
0% complete
Do not turn off your computer

After remaining stuck there for maybe 10 - 15 mins it said . . backing out changes or something like that and then the system started up. Everything seems to work.
Of course OTL is still sitting on the desktop. What do you suggest? Should I delete it from Add/Remove Programs?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that was just bad timing on the updates - could you retry the update and let me know how it goes

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that was just bad timing on the updates - could you retry the update and let me know how it goes

OTL can just be deleted as it adds nothing to the system registry

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I started the system up this morning and it gave me the same thing . . . . Configuring Windows Updates . . . .. followed by backing out and then the system came up.

I will delete OTL through Control Panel. I will hang on to it a bit just in case you want me to run something.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ok first could you go to Control Panel > Windows updates
Get the latest updates and then let me know the result

We may have to repair updates if need be

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay I updated Windows. There were 5 updates. It asked me to reboot. The system shutdown started up and started . . . . Configuring . . . this time instead of 0% went up to 10% and then said . . .. Failure configuring Windows updates . . Reverting changes . . . . but all this happened failrly quickly as opposed to the last times when it hung at 0% for a long time. It shut down and restarted and came back up. I then shut it down manually and then cold started it and it started up without the message of . . . Configuring. After I sent this out I will shut down again and restart.

By the way can we schedule the Restore Point backup or do we have to do it manually?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Windows does the restore points automatically - daily, when an update is installed

Could you recheck for updates - if the same ones come up we will do a repair. The improbable timing of removing OTL and installing updates may have introduced an error

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I shutdown twice and it restarted without a hitch. No configuring message.

I just rechecked for updates and there were 7 updates which were not critical but reccomended I am just installing them and there are abot 19 other updates which are low priority. If you want I can install them too.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Just instal the critical and any optional that you need - let it reboot and see if it behaves this time :)

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay. I installed 6 updates it configured 100% and came back up. I rechecked updates and there were 4 more. Again successful shutdown/startup. Checked again 7 more updates!! Installed, shutdown/restart great. Checked 4 more updates. There seems to be no end to this! There are now 39 optional updates!

In short it seems that everything is working fine.

Should I now delete OTL?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes please - it looks like it was a temporary glitch :)

Husainfive

Husainfive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
In the Add/Remove programs I cannot find OLT?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It will not be there - just delete it from the desktop :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.