Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot [resolved!]

• Please log in to reply

mista_sparkalo

mista_sparkalo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well then, earlier today I went out to COMPUSA and bought a nice shiny new DIMM of 512mb pc2700 RAM. I disconnected everything from my box, opened the sucker up, and placed the new DIMM neatly into the empty slot. While I had the computer open, I also dusted pretty much everything with an air duster. I put the lid back on the box, plugged it back in, and pressed the power button (here's where it starts getting ugly)...yeah, if you read the title of the post, you'll probably know that it didn't start up.

There are NO fan noises, NO harddrive noises, NO pcspeaker beeps, in fact, the only sound I can hear is the clicking of the little green light on the back of the power supply...which is blinking at a steady rate. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by mista_sparkalo, 29 May 2005 - 09:14 PM.

Advertisements

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi mista_sparkalo,

By curiosity did you try removing the dim and booting up the pc, sometimes when you insert new memory and is not supported nothing works and nothing responds.

So i suggest trying to boot up the pc the way it was, and check the wiring.

Ciao

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
When you said the green light on the psu is blinking...is the psu actually powered up? ie with its fan turning etc or not?

mista_sparkalo

mista_sparkalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
In response to Raziel, yes, that was the first thing I checked...to no avail ;) and in response to Samm, nope, the PSU did not start up. The light on the back of the PSU blinking indicated that it was attempting to start up...and failing miserably.

However, I did solve the problem ^___^! I tested the power supply the ol' fashioned way via manual start (copper wire, green to black...only 5v electric shock :tazz:), and it didn't work...so, that lead me to the conclusion that my PSU had failed somehow. So, I ran back out to COMPUSA, grabbed a generic $20 PSU, installed it, and everything's working just fine and dandy. Thanks a bunch for your support/concern!!

Edited by mista_sparkalo, 29 May 2005 - 06:57 PM.