Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont boot after having hard drive removed

• Please log in to reply

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, I currently have 2 computers at home as I bought my work one home over Easter and both are suffering from the same problem.

Yesterday a 'friend' of mine decided that, whilst I was out, it would be funny to switch the hard drives round in my computers. I have since replaced the correct hard drives into the correct machines however now windows will not boot on either of them as they do not recognise that there are hard drives in them. Can any body help me?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Squishy Jay.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :yes:
:) :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

This is going to get real confusing quickly so I suggest we work on one system at a time.
Please provide the system specs for the one you want to work on first.
Is it a name brand system like Dell, Hp or Compaq?
If so what make and model?
If custom build then the above won't apply.
Do you know are the drives in question both IDE or SATA or is one IDE and the other SATA?
Are you sure they have power connected?

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well firstly, thanks for getting back to me.
Secondly, I'm now getting a disk read error on my personal system to add to the difficulties.

My system is a Novatech, Model Number PC0927TP.
The drive on my personal machine is a SATA drive.

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My personal system is up and running perfect again after a little help from my Dad, however my other system, which has two IDE hard drives, will not boot from the hard disk.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try swapping the cables around for the two ide drives...
only one will be the boot drive and you may have it connected to the wrong cable...
did your "friend" disconnect the computers from the wall before removing the hard drives..if not there is still power on the motherboard and he may have done hardware damage...
does your friend have any money to spend to fix the system...if so tell him to take it to a shop...
what a moron... :)

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I managed to get it working by changing the cables around like you suggested, although only the data storage drive was recognised and so I've had to reinstall windows on that, luckily ive not lost my data. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm for some reason my post didn't show up about checking the location of the drives on the cable.
Did you by chance check the jumper on the back of the drive to make sure it wasn't changed?
Have you been able to get all the drives to show up now?

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The drive that used to be the boot drive for the work pc wont power up no matter how it is connected now. So whatever he did he has destroyed that one somehow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so the work system is down now or is that the one you installed the OS on the data drive?

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's the one I put the OS on the data drive. They are both working now except for the fact that the original boot hard drive no longer works.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm confused how you managed to install to the data drive without losing the data. :) :unsure:

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh, sorry. I didn't make that clear.
The data on the drive is gone, but my computer syncs with the server at work and everyone's data is backed up there, so I rang up and asked when the last back up was and it was before it powered down the last night it was working, so I can get my data from the work back up. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ahh ok good :)
So now your friend is going to replace the bad hd for you?

Squishy Jay

Squishy Jay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
He better do. I was given a system with two hard disks, so I can't really return with only one can I? :-P

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

He better do. I was given a system with two hard disks, so I can't really return with only one can I? :-P

:unsure: :) :) :yes: