Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Message "reboot and select proper boot device"

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hi, guys,

Had to install a new hard drive. IBM computer, ASUS P4V8X-MX mother board, XP Pro, SP3. Install went great, no problems what-so-ever. Ran windows update, downloaded what it showed. Now, when I first turn on the computer, just before the windows logo screen on normal boot, I get the message Reboot and select proper boot device or insert bootable media". Control-alt-delete, it reboots and boots perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks
joe

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hello tjmcs
I would first run a disk check. Copy and paste this code into Run box and click OK. Your system will reboot after 30 seconds and run a full 5 stage scan and repair any errors it finds. This can take 1 hour depending on how much is on your computer. After the scan it should reboot normally. Do not shut down or restart during the scan, just let it complete.
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Post back after you have finished.

Thank You

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Noknojon,

Check disk had no effect.

joe

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello tjmcs:

Please ensure Hard Drive itself and connections are secure

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hi guys,

All connections are secure. The only time I have the problem is on initial start-up. As I am still downloading and installing programs and updates, the computer funtions fine during mandintory reboots. Just on initial boot.

joe