Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant detect new pata hard drive in BIOs

• Please log in to reply

sandige

sandige

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok so this computer is about 3 years old, custom built for online gaming.
its running on a biostar mb, with a deskstar 61.49gb hard drive, which was fine when it was built. but over the years, the game has grown and the memory of the hard drive has shrank. so we bought and installed a westerndigital PATA 320gb drive.
i have tried everything i can think of to slave this drive!
when i first connected everything and booted up completely to start screen it acted as though it was loading drivers, but nothing ever happened.
so i powered down and made sure the deskstar was jumpered as master, and the WD as slave still no detection (i have triple checked the hardware, paperwork, and online that i have them jumpered correctly) Even tried doing them as CS, still no detection.
swaped the cables to see if maybe it was faulty, even tried the different connectors to just boot the master drive and they worked fine but still no detection of new drive
went into computer>manage> disk management but the drive doesnt show there either.
back in the bios i made sure they are set to same channel, and to ide. keep trying to auto detect, it finds the master just fine, but still no sign of the new WD drive.

im at a total loss what else can i possibly do?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi sandige :)
Each channel can have 2 devices on it.

When you first start your machine enter into the BIOS and make sure the drive was identified properly. Generally it's the [del] button that gets you into the BIOS but sometimes it's F1 or F2. You should be able to see some kind of message on the screen when it first posts indicating what you need to push.

Once you're in the BIOS you'll want to go into standard CMOS where you should see something like the picture below

Run the system setup program.
Enable LBA mode and UDMA mode, if applicable.
Select the auto-detect option.
Save and exit the system setup program.

If your drives are showing up properly then you did it right. If they aren't then you've got some troubleshooting to do. First of all look go back to the front page in your BIOS and select integrated peripherals. Make sure that both IDE channels are enabled. Most likely you set your jumper wrong.

Partitioning the drive in Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows server 2000/2003/2008

If you install a new drive and want to use it in Windows, you must partition the hard drive first! Note: If you want to recover data from the "OLD" drive, Don't do this!
And there are some ways to partition the hard drive actually, say, partition the hard drive under Disk Management or use the third party partition manager tool like EASEUS partition Master to manage the hard disk directly, etc.

Also you could try disconnecting the deskstar, formatting the new HDD and assigning it a drive letter such as (K)

adamvaldez

adamvaldez

• Pip
  • 4 posts
And if recommendations of Member 2k doesn't work than it is definitely a fault with Hard Drive. :)

sandige

sandige

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok well the hard drive is fine. problem is they cant both be identified in the bios at the same time. if the master and slave are both plugged in it only detects the master. when the master isnt present, the slave drive is found. both showing in correct slots, on same channel, all jumpers are correct. i have tried replacing the cord with a 80 wire instead of a 40 and still no luck. i dont get why this is happening.

and yes ive done all the above mentioned.

Edited by sandige, 07 May 2011 - 03:18 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you tried the option of putting the jumpers on CABLE SELECT for both Hard Drives.

Remember to put the HD you want as the Master HD at the end connector of your wire ribbon and the intended slave in the middle one.

Some older HD brand (Deskstar) only work in certain jumper configurations with some other brands (WesternDigital)

Hope that helps

Reread your post and notice this time that you tried CS, sorry

Maybe if you supply more information about the HD (model numbers) and Motherboard model we may hopefully help

Edited by Alzeimer, 07 May 2011 - 03:44 PM.

sandige

sandige

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the mother board is a biostar, mod# p4m90-m7se
my master drive is a deskstar 70gb hd mod# hds722580vlat20
and the new drive is a western digital 320gb hd mod# wd3200aajb-00j3a0

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This is the information i got for your 2 HD

Desktar Jumper configuration

hds 3.jpg

As you can see there are two schemes for this drive the 16 heads (should be your settings) and 15 heads, read the * under 16 heads to see if the 15 heads apply to you

WD Jumper configuration

WD3200.JPG

I highlighted the jumper configuration where you have more than 1 HD you have to use this setting or the CABLE SELECT one for 2 HD also choose the settings depending om your pin count (10 - 6 - 9)

Hope this will help

Edited by Alzeimer, 07 May 2011 - 05:42 PM.

sandige

sandige

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you for those pictures Alzeimer, they were so helpful. the legends provided by the hard drives didnt match anything compared to that! neither did the sites i found. i rearranged the jumpers and ran bio's and ding! theres both the master and slave. i literally jumped for joy. never had this happen to me before while slaving a drive i was so confused thank you thank you. now for the fun part of setting it up, dont think ill have a problem but if i do i know where to turn thank you so very much.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Glad i could help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Good catch Alzeimer, happy to see your sorted sandige :) :unsure: