Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Repair - Stuck in a Loop

• Please log in to reply

Rebbew

Rebbew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello...
Please help. I have been unable to boot up my Dell Inspiron 1525 since last weekend. As I boot it up, it appears to boot, and then asks on a black screen whether to "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally".

A: If I launch Startup Repair, it flickers a couple of times, the Windows 7 squares appear briefly, there is a flash of a blue screen/white writing which disappears instantly, and then I get a plain black screen, and eventually a white arrow cursor appears, and the mouse works, but just a plain black screen. I have let that run for up to 3 hours, and nothing changes. I have done this more than the 3 times recommened. Should I leave it overnight? Will more time help?

B: If I start Windows Normally, then it seems to boot again, and then its says Starting Windows, I get the Windows squares, and it sits there for a while, then there some flashes, and the screen goes black, and it reboots, back the option to either "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally" - excatly where I was... Goes nowhere.

C: I have tried to read other forum posts, and followed the suggestion to hit F8 repeatedly, and boot up in Safe Mode. It just runs through a whole list of Drivers that it is loading, and then hangs up on a line: Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS and then I get a black screen again briefly, and it reboots to the "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally" place again. Went nowhere...

D: I have tried to Boot to the Command Prompt, and it takes me back the same beginning.

E: I have tried to boot from my Windows 7 DVD which is in the drive, and it seems to load Windows and then I end up on a black screen with a white cursor arrow.
I do NOT want to lose my data (I have not back-up in about 3 months, and I have critical files on there). I know that I was running out of HDD space, but it wasn't too bad...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

E: I have tried to boot from my Windows 7 DVD which is in the drive, and it seems to load Windows and then I end up on a black screen with a white cursor arrow.
I do NOT want to lose my data (I have not back-up in about 3 months, and I have critical files on there). I know that I was running out of HDD space, but it wasn't too bad...

To boot to the Windows DVD, you must ensure the DVD drive is before the boot HD in the boot order, as listed in the BIOS Setup Menu. If listed first, whenever you boot, early in the boot process you will be prompted (lower left corner) to press a key to boot from CD. If you don't press a key, the BIOS will skip the DVD and try to boot from the next device in the boot order. So, you need to make sure the CD/DVD drive is listed first in the BIOS Setup Menu. Then you hopefully can run a repair.

The best way to ensure you don't lose any data at this point is probably to pull that drive and install it into an enclosure, or into a 2nd computer as a secondary drive (not boot drive) and see if you can copy the files off.