Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp repair issue

• Please log in to reply

vastchoirs

vastchoirs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi all

Recent, my g/f`s pc was gripped with the system restore virus. I went to Malwarebtes.com site, given instructions what to do and wham the pc just reboots over n over. So, this is a pc that was built for her using XP but, that person is long gone. So, I was able to borrow the XP reinstallation dell disk from a friend to just do a Repair. I changed the boot to boot from the cd, booted the machine and it loaded windows files as normal. I chose R to repair, it asked which windows installation to repair, which was 1: C:\Windows. So, I hit 1 and enter only to be asked for admin password. Problem is she isn`t aware of one [the pc booted right into Windows xp without entering password] I tried just hitting enter but, it tells me password not valid. Like I said above, the person who built this pc, and hence installed XP is long gone. Also, anytime she booted into XP she never had to enter a password. So, I`m stumped.

V

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A XP reinstallation Dell disk will not work. It is specific to a Dell and a specific model. I have to assume that the person that built the computer used a XP oem disk.

You will have to get your hands on a XP disk that is the same type as installed (home, pro, or media).
Have you tried booting to last known good configuration in safe mode?

vastchoirs

vastchoirs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually' it will not allow me to get into Safe Mode or command prompt.
Hmm, I actually was not aware I couldn`t use my friend`s reinstallation cd from Dell. I thought to do a simple repair, I could use his disc.
The guy who loaded n built the pc never told her how he did it, and apparently put a admin password . So, to do a repair, I need the actual XP cd, and it will not work using the reinstallation cd?