Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP touchsmart iq538a

• Please log in to reply

mape

mape

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi there
I have a hp touchsmart iq538a and was wondering if I could upgrade from the built in 256mb graphics card to something like a 512mb card, here is the product specifications http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3884677&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c01686175
can you please get back to me as soon as possible
Thanks
Mape

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi mape :)
It depends on what version of the computer you have see the specs below;

Video
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 9300M
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 9300M
PCIe x16 interface
MXM connector
256 MB

Integrated graphics using Intel GMA X4500HD
Enabled for selected Touchsmart models without discrete graphics card

From these specs it appears that if you have the MB with the 9300M integrated
video chip then you can upgrade but if you have the GMA X4500HD then you cannot.
To find out what is inside your computer download and run speccy from the link
@ http://www.piriform.com/speccy let us know what it reports.

EDIT: The sort of upgrade you may be able to carry out looks like a CPU, have a
look at the attached link http://www.nvidia.co...tx_260m_us.html

Edited by phillpower2, 08 May 2011 - 01:46 AM.

mape

mape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply phillpower2, I was only allowed to upload 1 picture so I have one of all my computer specs, great program you recommended.
I hope this helps, Just letting you guys know that the system is a all in one so the cpu is attached to the back of the monitor i dont know whether this will change your advice?
Thanks
mape

Attached Thumbnails

• masterfile.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for your reply phillpower2, I was only allowed to upload 1 picture so I have one of all my computer specs, great program you recommended.

You are welcome :) specs were great thanks, the good news is that you can upgrade your GFX card but a bit of research will be needed to find the best card for your all in one computer, have a look at the attached link so you know what version of MXM card is compatible with the slot on your MB http://hothardware.c...raphics-Module/ your computer will accept the 1 and 11 type but not the 3.0.

I hope this helps, Just letting you guys know that the system is a all in one so the cpu is attached to the back of the monitor don't know whether this will change

No change, we were aware of the type of GFX card that you require, just not sure if it was MXM ver 1,11 or 3.0 :unsure:
For future reference, ensure if you are seeking assistance with computer issues that you use the correct terminology!!
CPU = Central Processing Unit or processor for short, PC = Personal Computer.
What you are referring to at the back of the monitor could better be described as the system chassis or MB (motherboard) housing.

mape

mape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Amazing, thanks for your reply your are an expert at this!, and sorry but im not so good with hardware and the correct terminology. I glad to know that you can upgrade my graphics card but I still have some doubts.

-If I upgrade my graphics card to say the MXM-III does this mean that I get to use the on board and the new graphics card combined as one to make a 512MB graphics card? or does this mean that I will lose the power of my on board graphics card

-Would I have to buy an external monitor or would It connect directly to my touch screen monitor that is built into the HP touch-smart?

-Is there enough space in my computer for the new card to fit and the back and would I have to drill any holes for wires? (I know this question sounds stupid, but like I said I'm not so good with hardware)

-And lastly could you please point me in the right directions as to which card to get, because you are unsure of which MXM card I can use e.g.(MXM-1 or MXM-3) is there a way I can help you help me in figuring this out?
Thanks again
Mape

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

-If I upgrade my graphics card to say the MXM-III does this mean that I get to use the on board and the new graphics card combined as one to make a 512MB graphics card?

You cannot upgrade to MXM-111 only MXM- 1 or 11, from post #4

your computer will accept the 1 and 11 type but not the 3.0.

Having both an onboard video chip and an add on video card does not mean that they combine, the add on card normally overides the onboard chip.

-Would I have to buy an external monitor or would It connect directly to my touch screen monitor that is built into the HP touch-smart?

No to the 1st question and yes to the 2nd question.

-Is there enough space in my computer for the new card to fit and the back and would I have to drill any holes for wires? (I know this question sounds stupid, but like I said I'm not so good with hardware)

Yes to the 1st question (see the picture below for what MXM cards look like) no to the 2nd question.

-And lastly could you please point me in the right directions as to which card to get, because you are unsure of which MXM card I can use e.g.(MXM-1 or MXM-3) is there a way I can help you help me in figuring this out?

Google MXM cards, make sure you choose the version 1 or 11 type and that the card is not bigger than 70mm X 68mm in size, this is why the version 111 type of card is not compatible, it is too big.
Finally when you find a card post a link to it so it can be checked for you, I will also search for you but it may take until tomorrow to find one.

mape

mape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks your amazing

here is one that I found after googeling best mxm-11 card, this is the link for the card

(ATI HD4650 DDR2 512MB MXM II Graphics Card 4 Laptops HD VG.M9206.004 VGM9206004) it says it has 512mb of graphics power so I assume it can play the latest games (excluding crysis) without lag

http://www.alibaba.c...2MB_MXM_II.html

All I want is a graphics card that can play games to a medium level or even higher(eg modern warfare 2 or left 4 dead, F.E.A.R etc) if possible without lag. My onboard 256mb just doesnt reach to the mark.Please tell me If I should give up if playing games without lag is not possible with the MXM cards?
Cheers
Mape

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
After doing some research I am sorry to say that upgrading your present video card would be both expensive and difficult but not worth either in order to gain minimal improvement over your present card, which is rated as one of the better ones so I have read, with the HD4650 only rated slightly better than the 9300M GS you have now.
Have a look at the card at the attached link and you will see what I mean http://www.eeshops.c...m-ii-p-666.html MXM graphics cards do not have outstanding performances, the latest versions are slightly more powerful but they are bigger and require more power.
Sorry I do not have anything more positive to tell you.

mape

mape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After doing some research I am sorry to say that upgrading your present video card would be both expensive and difficult but not worth either in order to gain minimal improvement over your present card, which is rated as one of the better ones so I have read, with the HD4650 only rated slightly better than the 9300M GS you have now.

ok so the ati 512mb graphics card would not show that much difference in performance

Have a look at the card at the attached link and you will see what I mean http://www.eeshops.c...m-ii-p-666.html

From the link you provided I was able to see a 1GB nvidia mxm-11 grapics card that would fit in my pc so comparing 256mb to 1000mb should this not be a significant amount of difference to show up in the performance of gaming? So what i'm saying is wouldn't that 1GB card be good to play games that I listed before?

Thanks
Mape

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

ok so the ati 512mb graphics card would not show that much difference in performance

According to the information I could find, it was said though that your present card was good for an mxm type.
From one of the threads I read:

Re: Fastest MXM II Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Nvidia 8600M GT
- Nvidia 9600M GS and GT
- ATI HD 3650

So what i'm saying is wouldn't that 1GB card be good to play games that I listed before?

You would notice the difference in performance due to the amount of memory the card has, the weakness the card
has is the speed it produces the graphics, this is due to the low power of the card (25W) and the computers own
150W PSU, graphics cards can be power hungry with some card demanding a lot more power than others.

Edited by phillpower2, 10 May 2011 - 03:26 PM.

mape

mape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
so all in all the

1GB card would not suffice due to the low power consumption?
so you dont think I should upgrade or would be worth upgrading?
thanks
Mape