Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc Wont boot- not in safe mode or normal mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recieved a popup in the corner saying the file ccsvhost.exe was corrupt. This prevented me from using any program or the internet. I restarted the computer, thinking that if I entered safemode I could run a virus scan and kill this thing. But upon shutting down I got a BSOD. I started it back up and it wont startup- not safe mode either. What should I do? Please help.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there did your AV try to remove anything - or was it just the reboot that failed ?

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Latest version: v3.1.46.0

OTLPENet.exe
MD5=79209302A1AFB2490808DB890A815CED
Size: 127,222,215b / 121.3MB

• Download this scan.txt to a USB drive [attachment=49882:scan.txt]
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click the Custom scans and fixes box
  • In the dialogue locate the scan.txt you have on the USB
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The AV did not try to remove anything because no programs could be opened after the popup. Because I cannot start up the computer I will burn the OTLPEnet.exe onto a cd using another computer and then will follow the instructions. I will post back here as soon as it is done.

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have burned the dvd using my mac and changed the bios to boot fromt he DVD drive as the highest priority but it still doesn't boot.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What error do you get when you get the prompt " press any key to boot from CD "

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont get an error, Its just a black screen.....

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have a USB drive ? If so we will try to get in that way and see if we can get a system restore point for you

We will use an mobile operating system called xPUD, and a script called rst.sh to restore your computer.

On the clean computer.

Creating a bootable USB using xPUD
  • Please download the following files and save it to the desktop
  • Insert the USB device to make bootable to the computer. (Make sure that no other USB's are inserted)
  • Double-click on unetbootin.exe to run
  • Select Disk Image, ISO and in the space provided, enter the path location of xpud-0.9.2.iso (ex. C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop\xpud-0.9.2.iso)
  • Select USB Drive type and the drive letter assigned to your USB stick.
  • Click "OK" and wait until the program finishes. You now have a bootable xPUD.
  • Download the following tool and save it inside the bootable USB

Please note: if you prefer to create a bootable CD using xPUD, you may download the ISO image found here and burn it to a CD.

On the infected computer.
  • Reboot your system using the xPUD bootable USB you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a xPUD desktop.
  • Select on the File icon; on the right pane click on the "mnt" folder and highlight "sdb1" - this is your USB device.

sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
    sdb1 is likely your USB

• Click on the "Tool" menu and select Open Terminal
    Posted Image
  • In the open terminal window, type in the following:

bash rst.sh
  • Press "Enter" and let it run uninterrupted.
    (The program lists available Restore Points and will save a report enum.log located in the USB drive.)
  • The program is finished when it say's "Done".
  • Type "Exit" to close the terminal window.
  • Please attached the enum.log file in your reply. (You may remove your USB drive when transferring log to a clean computer).

Please note: If you have an ethernet connection you can access the internet by way of xPUD (Firefox). You can perform all these steps on your sick computer. When you download the download will reside in the Download folder. It can be found under the File tab also. You can similarly access our thread by way of this OS too so you can send the logs that way.

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Update: I took it to a PC World to get it checked. They said that there was a problem with the hard drive nad that it was loose or something along those lines. This didnt make sense to me because I am sure it is a software problem. They then said that they would fix it for £700!
Should i continue the steps you posted earlier? If there is actually a problem with a hard drive do you have any more advice?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop ? If a desktop then keep your money, a new hard drive is less than £100, a laptop is a bit trickier but still a darn sight cheaper

itsrolo

itsrolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its an HP pavillion laptop

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To replace the hard drive is quite easy http://www.insidemyl...avilion-dv9000/

The cost is less than £100 - but first we need to ensure it is the hard drive and not the motherboard, if it is that then it would be cheaper to buy a brand new one

Could you try the USB programme to see if we can access the hard drive

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.