Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's inside a computer?

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
A graphical and interactive tool to learn about the components of a computer. Contains a novice, junior, and master level guide.

Click-N-Learn

Advertisements

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

A graphical and interactive tool to learn about the components of a computer. Contains a novice, junior, and master level guide.

Click-N-Learn

Hello Donna,

Well just to break your duck on this, here is my answer to "What's inside a computer?"

Tons of tangled dog hair, dust, dead spiders and moths. The fan looked like a hairy, dust layered blob.
It cost me $50 to have it all removed.

Keyboard ? Full of fag ash, crumbs and bits of potato crisps.

Well Donna, at least I have replied, to-date nobody else has - perhaps they have no idea, think it is just a plastic box that shows pretty pictures.

John

Posted Image

Edited by John Bull, 29 May 2011 - 01:59 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow are those old pictures in the first post. The CPU is an old Pentium II slot cartridge, and the motherboard has ISA expansion slots. I'm guessing the expansion cards are a modem and sound card. If you were to open a modern tower, chances are you would find little besides the motherboard (CPU/RAM), hard drive, and optical drive.

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Wow are those old pictures in the first post. The CPU is an old Pentium II slot cartridge, and the motherboard has ISA expansion slots. I'm guessing the expansion cards are a modem and sound card. If you were to open a modern tower, chances are you would find little besides the motherboard (CPU/RAM), hard drive, and optical drive.

Ah well, I should have known - ya can`t bamboozle an expert can ya ?

Mine looked like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag.

John

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
@ admin:

If you were to open a modern tower, chances are you would find little besides the motherboard (CPU/RAM), hard drive, and optical drive.

Amazing how fast technology advances. In 20 yrs. the computers of today will be placed along side the Antikythera Mechanism, sometimes called the first analog computer that is believed to be the creation of Archimedes.

@ John:

Have you noticed a difference in your computers performance? Cleaning out the dust bunnies can prolong the life of the computer.

Many people have their tower sitting on the floor. Not good depending on where air vents are located. I've seen many computers overheat due to excessive dust/animal hair, etc. and they take it to a Tech. Shop thinking it is hardware related and pay to have it fixed when all they have to do is buy a can of compressed air for a few bucks and blow the dust bunnies out themselves or lift it off the floor a foot or so. We have cats so every 2 months we blow out the dust if it is needed or not.

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

@ admin:

If you were to open a modern tower, chances are you would find little besides the motherboard (CPU/RAM), hard drive, and optical drive.

Amazing how fast technology advances. In 20 yrs. the computers of today will be placed along side the Antikythera Mechanism, sometimes called the first analog computer that is believed to be the creation of Archimedes.

@ John:

Have you noticed a difference in your computers performance? Cleaning out the dust bunnies can prolong the life of the computer.

Many people have their tower sitting on the floor. Not good depending on where air vents are located. I've seen many computers overheat due to excessive dust/animal hair, etc. and they take it to a Tech. Shop thinking it is hardware related and pay to have it fixed when all they have to do is buy a can of compressed air for a few bucks and blow the dust bunnies out themselves or lift it off the floor a foot or so. We have cats so every 2 months we blow out the dust if it is needed or not.

Hello Donna,

YES, when my cyber-surgeons cleaned it all out I noticed a big difference. Before, it kept cutting out with a blue screen due to over-heating. We had a long haired Alsatian dog at the time and the fan just made a nest of dog hair, but now we have a Rottie and his coat does not shed hair much.

Here is a picture of my set-up. OK, it is basically on the floor, but I have no choice. All is working fine at present.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by John Bull, 30 May 2011 - 07:23 AM.