Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hardware problems (Supposingly)

• Please log in to reply

Mudz

Mudz

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello folks,

I need help in determining the main problem of my system unit. I bought this rig 3 months ago and as a matter of fact, it runs perfectly until recently. Problems encountered:

1) Frequent hangs/freezing for a few minutes. After that it runs smoothly for a min or so and hang again.

2) Booting problem. Sometimes out of no where, it will have booting problem. For eg, a blue screen appears and it restarts. Solutions tried: chkdsk, startup repair with the windows disc, fixboot, etc. It sometimes fix it, but most of the time fails to.

3) Sometimes bios detects the HDD but sometimes it does not. This happens very frequently which leads to booting problem as well.

Tried a clean installation of windows but to no avail. Also, the hardwares are completely compatible so i think there's no need to reveal my spec. Having said that, i suppose i should state my HDD and mobo. HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA. Mobo: Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL. And no, it's not about the cougar point issue since i have plugged my HDD into non-affected sata ports.

Possible problems:

1) Corrupted registry. (don't think so since i formatted)

2) Hard disk in the verge of death.

3) Spoilt mobo.

4) Loose Cable.

5) Softwares conflicts.

6) Malware. (not possible either)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The first thing that can be checked, which is pretty easy, is to test the disk drive with the manufacturer diagnostics program, which should be available from their website.

Make sure that all cables are connected well and not loose.

Mudz

Mudz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
If you do not mind, could u please list down the other steps to be taken if the diagnostics program showed no error and if the cables are connected well? This is because i am using another rig currently. So yeah, to save time, i would try all the steps available in one go. Thanks!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Normally, the first step would be to check the power. Power can cause strange problems and if something is not right, then you can get strange issues occurring. There are cheap testers, but using a good meter is best.

Next would be to ensure that everything is well seated, slight pressure on items which plug in, such as the CPU (depending on the mount).

You could also try replacing the cable to the disk as cables can fail and/or be defective.

Testing the disk is one of the main things, based on what you said, but power could be too.

There might be some diagnostics for the complete system, which might be some help, but there is not really one list to determine what all to do. It depends on the symptoms as you go along. You could also try running the system from a Live CD, such as Knoppix. If everything runs ok, then that would tend to indicate that the system might be ok.

Mudz

Mudz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your replies. Will keep you updated asap. Thanks again.