Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard not posting and no video

• Please log in to reply

nerdifiedgeek

nerdifiedgeek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so I'm building a new computer for someone and he wanted an AMD CPU with SLI so there are only a few motherboards that will support this. I bought an ASUS M4N75TD and an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban, along with F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL memory. All of these seem to be supported by the motherboard according to the website, though the CPU is only support in later bios updates. Well I all the fans power on when I push the button but nothing comes on the screen, no beeps. I took out the ram and still no beeps. I've changed PSUs, no beeps. I am leaning towards a bad motherboard, but could it possible me that I need to update the bios for it to run the CPU that I have? From what I've read online it sounds like it should still boot with the CPU just not detect the exact CPU and perform at the CPU speed until the bios is updated. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I go buying another motherboard or CPU

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried testing the mobo outside of the case?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

nerdifiedgeek

nerdifiedgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you tried testing the mobo outside of the case?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

• keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

I have done all of this. I had it resting on a static bag instead of cardboard though, but same type of deal. I've tried different combinations as well. Like no ram, no video card. Also note that the CPU is not getting warm. I know the CPU is fine though, tested on a good motherboard. I am almost positive it's a bad mobo or incompatible CPU issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

CPU Type
Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series
AMD 140W CPU Support

Accepted cpu's for that motherboard.

Your cpu other then a 6 core fits within the parameters.

nerdifiedgeek

nerdifiedgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

CPU Type
Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series
AMD 140W CPU Support

Accepted cpu's for that motherboard.

Your cpu other then a 6 core fits within the parameters.

It's on the Asus website as a supported CPU as well, but only with a bios update. I just don't know for sure if it would not start at all without the bios update or if it would just run as a generic CPU without it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the bios update is required for it to identify the CPU correctly then it is changing some firmware to see the CPU correctly.
If it doesn't boot at all then there is no way to change anything in the bios to get it to see a generic CPU.

nerdifiedgeek

nerdifiedgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If the bios update is required for it to identify the cpu correctly rhen it is changing some firmware to see the cpu correctly.
If it doesn't boot at all then there is no way to change anything in the bios to get it to see a generic cpu.

Ok. I'm just not sure whether to buy the same motherboard again just in case it's a bad motherboard and hope it's not a compatibility issue, or buy a different motherboard. If it was because of needing a bios update, another solution would be to put a CPU in it that does work then upgrade the bios. It's all expensive ways to figure it out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

another solution would be to put a CPU in it that does work then upgrade the bios.

This may work but then you have a cpu you won't be using when you are done.