Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best method of backup: online vs external HD vs Software programs?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am using Mozy as a backup source, but is online backup really worth the monthly expense for the typical home user? Would it be better to backup evrything I want to an external hard drive or is there a program that might be a better approach? Like most people, I have lots of pics, music (Itunes) stuff like that. Is taking an image the way to go or does doing so also copy any problems one may be having with the operating system? Please know your help is appreciated and I hope I am posting in the right forum. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I use two separate external drives to keep backups of my files, and i do the backups manually.
Any problems with the OS are not backed up with those files in any way, although a Windows problem might make backing up more difficult, especially when attempting to back up a large number of files in one go. So make sure Windows is working properly before you start backing up.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First - I applaud you actually doing backups. Most of know we should but don't.

but is online backup really worth the monthly expense for the typical home user? Would it be better to backup evrything I want to an external hard drive

Would it be better? Only you can answer that. A backup plan is an insurance plan. And the best insurance is custom designed to work best for your particular circumstances. No one wants to spend money on insurance, but when you need it, you want the best policy out there that works best for your situation.

On line is great for many reasons - two in particular. (1) It is off-site. So if your house burns downs, is flooded, or a fake moving company empties your house of all your stuff, you still have a backup of all your data. (2) If you are on the other side of the world, you have access to your data.

The biggest disadvantage to on-line is you must have a working, networked computer to access it.