Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting Up New Network

• Please log in to reply

busypcguy

busypcguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello To All:

WHAT I HAVE - I currently have, don't laugh, an old Wireless B router in my home office. I've never upgraded the router because I haven't used it wirelessly in ages.

WHAT I WILL HAVE - I'm converting my shed into an office so will have the PC there. It's between 60 to 80 feet from my current office. In the shed (or my new office), I'll have two PCs and a NAS for backup. I need these two PCs on a network with Internet access AND I'll need to make sure my wife and visitors can connect to the Internet from within the house on their laptops, iPads, etc.

WHAT MY PLAN IS - Current plan is to leave the modem where it is in the current office, upgrade the router to the Linksys E4200, install the Linksys WET610n wireless adapter in the shed and connect it to an eight port GB switch. The PCs and NAS would all be wired into the switch from within the shed and the switch, in turn, will pass Internet access to my PCs via the wireless adapter that's wired into the switch itself and the wireless router from within my house. The wireless router will broadcast a signal specifically for my PCs in the shed and another signal will be used for my wife and our visitors. The only thing I wonder about here is the speed of the Internet connection for the two PCs in my shed. If they both get Internet from a wired switch, they'll both be trying to get information to and from the router from the same adapter and I'm worried that might slow me down. D'ya think both PCs could stream video (hypathetically) at the same time from the same adapter without any hickups?

ANOTHER OPTION - I also thought about bypassing the adapter and switch by simply installing smaller wireless adapters on each of the two PCs but I want traffic between them to be quick and I'm not sure at this point how well that wireless n signal will be in the shed as it comes from inside my house. If I needed to pass large amounts of data between the two PCs in the shed, I'd be sending the data wirelessly to and from my house and I'm not sure how we'll I'm going to trust the connectivity of the router from this distance. Also, I'd have to plug my NAS inside the house but I'd rather have all of my gear in my office where I can see and monitor it physically. On a side note, I don't actually own the NAS yet. I was thinking of getting this for backups but they are quite expensive. I am a photographer and have a LOT of data. Still working out my backup situation so let's not let that get in the way of the network design. I can get around the network for backups in other ways.

YOUR SUGGESTIONS - Well, now I'm wondering what you all think of this plan. Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Can't wait to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks,

busypcguy

Edited by busypcguy, 08 May 2011 - 10:41 PM.

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
sounds like a well thought out solution - the Linksys E4200 will broadcast both 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies - so the house can use the 2.4 and the adapter use the 5ghz range

they'll both be trying to get information to and from the router from the same adapter and I'm worried that might slow me down. D'ya think both PCs could stream video (hypathetically) at the same time from the same adapter without any hickups?

I think the limit would be the broadband speed you have and also the speed you get between the wireless adapter and home , depending on signal strength etc

I have a linksys WAG320N , which is operating at the 2.4ghz range and most devices are "G" 54mbps - I then have a tplink wireless access point - and plug my TV, PVR by cable into that adapter and also other devices connect by wireless to it also - I can stream a HD video to the TV from Sky and also stream iplayer to a PC and they work fine, whilst others are surfing the web.
But it will vary on the environment etc..

two PCs but I want traffic between them to be quick and I'm not sure at this point how well that wireless n signal will be in the shed as it comes from inside my house.

this is the unknown - what type of speed you may get at the shed

do you have a laptop at all with wireless
just an idea - download and install xirrus - then goto the planned shed and see what wireless signals you pick up and how far from any house you are - may give you an idea of strength - or may not help at all - depends on how densely populated you are in the area
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.co...y/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.co...ad_redirect.php
Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techg...ng_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Just because of current technologies I always suggest you use routers that run on the 5GHz range. That way, you will get less interruption. Many remote controllers, wireless phones, and wireless devices run on the 2.4GHz range which can interfere with your signal.