Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"avgwdsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
This problem began recently, seemingly after an AVG daily update which turned off my SuperAntiSpy program (which I then manually turned on). Weeks earlier, an upgrade to version 10 had done this same thing and, IIRC, didn't finish before the system locked up so I removed the newer version and reinstalled the old 9.0.8(or .9?) version.

I run Windows XP, SP3 and use both IE and Firefox. AVG Free, SuperAntiSpy Free, and SpywareBlaster are running; Windows Defender is present but turned off.

I have downloaded OTL (but saved it to My Docs, w/ shortcut on Desktop) and ran (and saved 3 files from) two scans, the first the quick version w/ no settings changed. I don't see any obvious problems, but understand too little for that to be significant.

Since this message is reoccurring during the same session, both in IE and FF, I am wondering if it's a 'false alarm' rather than the 'Watch Dog' process actually being turned off.
In any case, I'd like to fix the problem. At least my back isn't killing me this time!

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Well, whatever caused the problem, it has gone away by itself, leading me to wonder if it was due to some conflict between programs which was fixed by more recent updates.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,958 posts
Hi TooNew2,

leading me to wonder if it was due to some conflict between programs which was fixed by more recent updates.

You are more than likely correct!

AVG has been known for this just after updates and is not a recent issue with AVG. It may have been fixed via an update due to the complaints. Please read the following link.

"avgwdsvc.exe has encountered a problem and need to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I fixed this issue on my sons computer by un-installing AVG and installing Avast! Free version 6.0.1091 just yesterday!

If you go that route. Download the Avast! Free Antivirus 6 to your desktop but Do Not install just yet.

Then download the AVG Remover to your desktop and run it. After I run the tool I always go to My Computer > Program Files > and make sure the AVG folder was deleted as well since I don't plan on re-installing it.

Then return to your desktop and install Avast! That way you're not surfing the web unprotected looking for an AV to install after uninstalling your previous AV.

Avast is a bit larger in size @ 54.29 MB's than AVG which is 5.3 MB's and if size is a concern you may try also try Microsoft Security Essentials which is 7.5 MB's.

If you have any questions or concerns, please, don't hesitate to ask.

And I do apologize that your post wasn't answered in a timely fashion for your needs.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 15 May 2011 - 02:45 PM.

midimagic

midimagic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
About that time AVG antivirus added spyware protection to the program. But they didn't tell anyone who already had it that this was done.

Suddenly you had two antispyware programs running. It is never a good idea to have more than one program for antivirus and one program for antispyware running on the same computer at the same time.