Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP..VERY URGENT

• Please log in to reply

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Pip
  • 8 posts
PLEASE HELP MY CDRW WONT READ A DISK...SYSTEM RECOGNIZES DRIVERS, BUT SHOWS NO DISK INSERTED :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What type of disk are you trying to read? Is it just one disk in particular or every disk?

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
WHEN I TRY TO PLAY ANY DISK IT SAYS I MUST INSERT A DISK INTO THE DRIVE AND THERE ALREADY IS
:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I assume you have tried several different disks which you know aren't scratched or dirty etc?
I also assume these are non-burnt disks as opposed to CDRs or CDRWs?

Can you confirm the above please. Also, what do you mean exactly be system recognises drivers?

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT GOOD DISKS..NONE WORK
MY DEVICE MANAGER SHOW IT AND THAT THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WHEN I USE THE TROUBLESHOOTER :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Does it also show up in my computer or disk managment? (control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk managment)

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
NO IT DOESN'T HOW DO I FIX THAT

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Power the system off then open up the case & check the connections to the CD drive. Check that the ribbon cable is secure at the motherboard end & at the drive end.

Reboot the system & go into the bios (let me know if you don't know how to do that)
Run the auto detect drives facility in the bios & see if the CDRW is detected correctly.

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
WHAT IS SYSTEM BIOS..I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT COMPUTERS BUT IM FAR FROM GENUIS

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, you know when you first switch the computer on, it does a memory test etc before starting to load windows. If you press the DEL key a few times while the memory test is running, when the test has finished, you should get into the bios.

A menu will open up (normally blue & white). Some systems will open straight on the page where the drives are listed, others will give you an actual menu screen. For the latter type, there should be an option to autodetect the drives. If so, select it & see if the CDRW appears in the list.

If it does, provided you haven't changed any other settings, then select save & exit.

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
WHAT IF IT DOESN'T SHOW ON THE LIST

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you asking about whether or not to save the settings in the bios if the drive isn't detected?
If so, then no you can just exit without saving

mommyhutchison

mommyhutchison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks, im gonna try it..wish me luck

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts