Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP or Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Jokerman2

Jokerman2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
My windows XP os is not running too well (Explorer not responding, programs hanging etc)so I am thinking of doing a fresh install, but some of my friends say to upgrade to windows 7 instead. These are my system properties,

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
Board: ASUS. A8N-E
300Gb hard drive (SATA)
80GB secondary hard drive (connected via SATA but with a SATA to IDE adapter)
3072 Megabytes Installed Memory
RADEON X1600 Series [Display adapter]
Realtek AC'97 Audio
DVD-ROM drive
DVDRRW drive
6 in 1 memory card reader

Which OS would give me a better performance on my system? Any help would be appreciated.
Jokerman2

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You need to check that your PC can run windows 7 without any compatibility problems before considering that as an option.
It's mainly to do with device drivers which may not be available for your PC hardware, as Windows XP drivers won't work on Windows 7.

If you have a branded PC (eg Packard Bell, Acer, HP/Compaq etc) the manufacturer supplies the correct drivers, but they may not have released any Windows 7 drivers for your particular model, so you'll need to check that out on their website.

Some of your existing applications may also not be compatible with Windows 7.

So here's what you need to do to find out what problems Windows 7 may pose for you:

1. Visit the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (using the PC you intend to install Windows 7 on) here: http://windows.micro...upgrade-advisor

2. Visit your PC manufacturer's website to see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your model.

Do remember also that you cannot upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP using the Windows 7 Upgrade version.
You will therefore need to buy the more expensive "full version" of Windows 7 which has to be installed on an empty partition.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 09 May 2011 - 05:08 AM.

Jokerman2

Jokerman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Already run it and my system is capable of running windows 7, so which OS would give me the best performance.