Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I have had my Nvidia 8800gts for about 3? years now, and its a great card. still runs anything out there, but within the last year, Ive had to really turn down a lot of settings in games, and I know if i replaced it with a more recent card, I could get an incredible increase in framewrate, and I still have a good system to back it up. Im looking to replace it soon with a more recent gaming video card that wont break the bank, but due to the massive selection, im really not sure. I dont have any issues with ATI or Nvidia, and have owned many video cards from both companies my whole life.
any suggestions?
peace

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
TomsHardware.com > Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - May 2011
http://www.tomshardw...670,2935-7.html

Edited by SpywareDr, 10 May 2011 - 11:27 AM.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i think you will enjoy the gtx 560

but still see the chart that spyware showed you

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The good news is, you provided the intended purpose of this hardware. The bad news is, sadly, you made a classic mistake when asking for hardware purchasing advice - you failed to mention your budget. :) "Won't break the bank" is only meaningful to you.

Toms Hardware Best Graphics Card for the Money - May 2011

Do note that a more powerful graphics card WILL demand more power. Therefore ensure you have enough power supply horsepower (and the necessary power connections) before installing any new card.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
yea for sure, I got a 650w corsair waiting to be used :)

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
a card like the hd 6870 was more in my range, a nice dx 11 card under $200. any other suggestions? Its going to be under $200 after the rebate, looks so good! cant wait to get some money savedup, this will be my first purchase.

Edited by hoopsman, 11 May 2011 - 12:41 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... a nice dx 11 card under $200. any other suggestions?

Newegg.com > Desktop Graphics / Video Cards1_. (x) > Text Search Terms: dx 11 (x) (1-20 of 405 Results)
http://www.newegg.co...ICE&Pagesize=20

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If i were to upgrade, the card would need at LEAST 1gb of memory. thats why the 6870 looks so dank..........what do you guys think of dx 11? im not sure what to think of it really, It seems like a lot of games are getting on the bandwagon, with the dx 11 patch for crysis 2 incoming, and DiRT 3, Im not sure.

Edited by hoopsman, 11 May 2011 - 03:46 PM.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Blam
100-200$ DX11 and 1024Mb memory
http://www.microcent...prt=NewProduct

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks, I have never heard of this site, but its got some really great prices there. Ill check this out for sure. thx again