Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading an old P4 system

• Please log in to reply

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
So like I said a couple month's back, my grandpa was going to give me his old Dimension E510 system. Well, now I got it and was wondering if it's worth upgrading. As it stands now, here are the specs:

Pentium 4 3.0GHZ HT (Prescott 2M)
1GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon X300
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM ATA hard drive.
Windows XP Home SP3 32-Bit.
Dell 1905FP monitor

I was thinking of dropping in another 2GB of RAM, and putting in a ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB. So that comes out to about $100. As I plan to use this for a while, it would seem worth it. But I just wanted a second opinion.
RAM: http://www.newegg.co...as...6820231098
Video Card: http://www.newegg.co...as...6814102874

I will also be putting Windows 7 Home 64-bit on once I get a new Wireless USB dongle, because the one I have now isn't compatible with Win 7. Learned that after installing Win 7, go figure. So does anyone know of a good one that get's good range and speed? Most seem to be a hit and miss. I would love a good wired connection, but my parent's don't want a wire running through the house.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday.

Wireless USB dongle

Can"t help with that one.

Upgrading the graphics might mean an upgrade of the PSU. as there were more than 4 upgrades of the Dimension E510, you will have to see what is installed in yours and see if it is suitable for your upgrade.
NOTE, If you need to replace a fan, they are all 5 pin.
You will be able to see full spare parts specifications, > http://www.impactcom...nsion-e510.html
Parts seem expensive but at least with the specs you may find cheaper elsewhere.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
Wireless adapters: http://www.newegg.co...ICE&PageSize=20

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Another gig of RAM would be nice. What do you plan on using this computer for? The current graphics solution should be fine for most computing tasks, and as noted, a newer graphics card WILL demand more power and therefore may require a bigger PSU.

Before even thinking of installing Windows 7, you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Before even thinking of installing Windows 7, you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Well spotted.

If the specs don"t come up to scratch you could go with 64bit XP.

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Another gig of RAM would be nice. What do you plan on using this computer for? The current graphics solution should be fine for most computing tasks, and as noted, a newer graphics card WILL demand more power and therefore may require a bigger PSU.

I plan to play my new copy of Battlefield 2 on max settings. And some other older games, Call of Duty, Portal, etc. As of now, I have to play Battlefield on low settings so it won't lag on my currents graphics cards. I'm playing on a resolution of 1280X1024, if it helps.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I plan to play my new copy of Battlefield 2 on max settings.

Well then you need a good graphics card, a suitable quality power supply, AND, because gaming is very demanding, your case MUST provide adequate front to back air flow and be kept clean of heat trapping dust.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
TomsHardware.com > Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - May 2011
http://www.tomshardw...670,2935-7.html

Edited by SpywareDr, 10 May 2011 - 11:26 AM.

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

I plan to play my new copy of Battlefield 2 on max settings.

Well then you need a good graphics card, a suitable quality power supply, AND, because gaming is very demanding, your case MUST provide adequate front to back air flow and be kept clean of heat trapping dust.

Well, the highest I would spend would be about $100 for a graphics card. And I don't want something to powerful that my processor would bottleneck it. So I was thinking a ATI 5670 would be about as high as I would go. And I will go check on the PSU wattage.