Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Delete Backup Folder

• Please log in to reply

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I use an emachines PC, and I recently performed "complete restore with backup".
Now, there's a folder called "BACKUP" on my C drive's root, and it takes about 30 gig of space.

I tried to shift + delete it, but after processing about 100,000 files (28 gig worth), the deletion process starts all over again.

So then I tried command promt (RMDIR /S /Q) but nothing was deleted (I got "access denied" message for everything).

After that, I tried a program called "Fast Folder Eraser Free," but still no go.

Disc cleanup didn't work as well.

What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try deleting the contents of the Backup folder rather than trying to delete the folder itself.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree with trying to delete the contents first. You may have to do a few at a time because Windows will often halt deleting if it cannot delete one file in a folder, even though all other files are deletable.

You might try going into Safe Mode to delete - this minimizes the chance another program loaded during normal boot is using a file you want to delete. Which brings up a point - why would there be a file in the Backup that is needed? You might try renaming that folder to something else (I suggest just appending the folder name with the date) then rebooting and see if all your programs work. If something breaks, you may need to address that first.

If all else fails, try MoveOnBoot. This program lets you tag files and folders for deletion during the next boot, before any other program, service, or process can put a lock on it.

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your replies!

Well, I did try to remove contents one by one, but in normal mode it says:
"you need permission to perform this action."

Even if I DO give it my permission, it keeps ask it until I have to skip, and then it doesn't delete ANYTHING.

Like Digerati suggested, I tried to safe mode.
But now it says the file/folder is no longer there so it can't do anything.

I'll try MoveOnBoot now.

p.s.
The backup includes system files and whatnot (users, WINDOWS...). It's a complete backup.
Also, I notice that everything is ".dll" format. Does it affect the deleting process?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It says the file is not there? That sounds like it worked.

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried MoveOnBoot, but it said the folders are read-only and so it can't delete them.

So I tried to change the folders' attributes, but it again said needs permission for it.

I gave it the permission (with the admin account), but it keeps asking for the permission.

I guess I'll try to disable user account control or something now...

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh, it says the file is not there (safe mode), but it still takes up spaces.
... and I can see all of them, really.

like i said, i'll try to turn off user account control :)

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I turned off the user account control, and then tried to change the folders' attributes.
but it says "access denied," and does not let me change them.

and MoveOnBoot cannot delete the folders if they are read-only (still takes up about 30 gig).

What should I do?

Ammuro

Ammuro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I finally found a solution!

It was actually a combination of TWO problems.

1. No ownership of the BACKUP folder
2. Folder is too large to delete

This is how one can take ownership of the backup folder:
http://www.techspot....topic85514.html

After taking the ownership of the folder,
you need to delete the BACKUP folder by using cmd.

If your BACKUP folder is in C Drive, you need to type in:
(without quotes) "RMDIR /S /Q C:WBACKUP"

Wait a few minutes, and the directory is gone!

I hope this solution helps others with the same problem...

gargoylefun

gargoylefun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried your instructions, but in cmd after typing the instruction I get message the specified file can not be found.
What can I do to delete the back up files, I have thousands and trying to go into each one and delete contents is going to take me years!