Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - Denied Permission To Access This Folder

• Please log in to reply

Kasey21

Kasey21

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I have just fully repaired my computer from viruses (using a forum similar to this one). But now i have ran into my first problem. I tried to go to C:\Documents and Settings ... but as soon as I clicked the folder I get the "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." Then I click continue to get access and get this message "You have been denied permission to access this folder". I tried to give my user permission using the security tab and editing the permissions but then i get the error message "An error occurred while applying information to: C:\Documents and Settings. Access is Denied. The next thing was going to do was using a restore point on my computer from before I even got a virus and then got help to remove it etc. But all restore points from before the computer being fixed were wiped. Also I am on Administrator account.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
On Windows 7 & Windows Vista, it's normal to be denied access to C:\Documents and Settings.
That folder cannot be accessed no matter what you try. It was accessible on Windows XP but access to it is not required on Vista or Windows 7 since your user files are now stored in C:\Users\<Username>

By default, the C:\Documents and Settings folder should not even be visible.
Go into Control Panel >> Folder Options and tick "Hide protected operating system files"