Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building $3000 video editing machine

• Please log in to reply

hansz92

hansz92

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A friend is interested in having me do a build for him for video editing. $3000 includes box and monitor (I think he already has one in mind so we'll just say $2800 for build). He wants it to be somewhat future proof. I have been out of the game for a while so I am posting here to get an idea of what is the usual recommendation these days :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday hansz92 .

What software will be used?
Where do you think you will be buying from?

hansz92

hansz92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Adobe CS4 master suite. I will probably be buying from newegg but I will shop around for good deals.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Been looking into a build for you and come to the conclusion that I would be doing you a disservice by recommending a build at the moment.

Within the next few months we will have the Intel Z68, some already released, > http://www.google.co...iw=1258&bih=820

We also have AMD efforts, Bulldozer, > http://www.google.co...60cd8c667a857f3

Then each of them will have there own method of enhancing graphics, IE LucidLodgic.

It will have a large impact on workstation builds. Until some test rigs have been benchmarked I suggest you hold off, do some reading, research, and let me know what you think.

hansz92

hansz92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Seeing as he has been telling me he's "about to be ready to build it" for months I think your advice is really solid. Thanks for the info to get my research headed in the right direction! I will be looking into those.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. Would be happy to here back from you again when you are ready.