Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Display dissapers?

• Please log in to reply

danny freyne

danny freyne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello, i am wondering if anyone can help, its only started recently but every now and again my display disappears and i cant do nothing at all, its quite like my graphics card has stopped working, so i tried the on bored vga input port, and it still did the same so i checked for any overheating on the processor, ram etc. and nothing everything seems to be ok. so then i thought it could of been the dust/dirt inside my pc so i done a gentle clean with a low suction vacuum cleaner (really low suction) to get the dust of my mobo, i cleaned out my heatsink fan and replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out my psu. ive done countless test on hardware to make sure nothing has any problems with no sucess averything seens to be ok and yet this problem keeps on popping up. I no quite a bit about computers but this problem is bugging me, and i cant seem to find the problem so am looking for some advise???

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

It could be either a faulty monitor, faulty graphics card, or a faulty video cable.

Only by swapping out each of those with a different one will you get to the culprit.

The cheapest of those three is a new video cable so start with that.
To test for a faulty monitor, try to borrow one.
The graphics card will probably have to be swapped out for a new one so leave that until you've tested the other two possible culprits in the hope that it's not the card at all.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 May 2011 - 12:47 PM.

danny freyne

danny freyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you on your reply, i have retested my PC with a different monitor, vga cable/s ( and hdmi cable/s) and a different graphics card and the problem still here so i can rule out those as 'the' problem, i was just wondering if it could be a problem caused by the mobo it self?? or even the heatsink fan, i have just recently noticed that the fan is running 200rpm slower than it used to, but then there is still no overheating of the system. i have also checked all off the drivers are up 2 date witch there are so that ain't the problem either.