Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected Trojan

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Speccy is telling me two things.

One: you are running a bit hot for a desktop. 48 C. Should be down around 35 C. Make sure the vents are clear and it is not standing in the sun or near a heat source. Shutdown but leave it plugged in. Remove the cover. Vacuum out the dust. Pay special attention to the CPU heatsink (you may need to remove the fan to get to clean it but usually it's just 4 screws and you can sat it aside.) Also clean the power supply intakes and fan. Turn on the PC and verify that the CPU and power supply fans start up quickly and run strongly without strange noises.

Then run speccy. On its front page it will tell you the CPU temperature. Run an anti-virus scan and monitor the temperature. It may climb a little but it should not change a lot.

Two: Your DVD-CD is not working correctly. I'm hoping its a filter problem:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further.
8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10. Exit Registry Editor.
11. Restart the computer.

Ron

Advertisements

Anderwolf

Anderwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Sorry I have been really busy at work. I will try my best to get these steps done tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Anderwolf

Anderwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hello again. I do not currently have a vacuum, I dont really need one at my house, but I have been trying to get my hands on one to help me clear any dust from the computer. I clean it fairly often, so I dont think its going to make a real big difference. Also, I got a new graphics card a few months back and it overheats pretty bad. I have been using PC Doctor to regulate the fan speed accordingly, but it still runs a bit hot sometimes. I'm assuming this has something to do with the CPU being hot as well.
I did notice after you said my CD rom was not working that I couldnt play games or burn discs. I completed the steps you gave regarding that, and now I can play the games again, but still cant burn CDs with my iTunes, and whenever I start iTunes I get an error that says "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes." I have reinstalled itunes but the error still occurs. I have not tried burning a CD with windows media player yet. Also, all my video playback seems to have a problem. I get sound but no video. I have had this computer for years and never had that problem, and I can not for the life of me find any simple fixes for it. The only thing that I can get to play video is DivX Plus Player (which i downloaded per a suggestion on the internet concerning this issue) and I do not like it because it is full of ads and it runs slow.

Again, sorry for the delay on this matter. And thank you again for your time!

Andy