Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Not Connecting to Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

ElliotFriend

ElliotFriend

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm unable to connect to my home wireless network with my Windows 7 64-bit desktop PC.
  • Background Information
  • The router is a new Belkin N+ wireless router, using WPA2 and a pre-shared key.
  • The Wireless NIC is an AzureWave AW-NE769 802.11b/g/n PCI-E WLAN card
  • The driver listed is a 2009 one from Ralink, and I can't find any newer, or more specific drivers on the net
  • My laptops are able to connect to it fine (Ubuntu, Windows XP, BackTrack, and Linux Mint)
  • This computer connected to my 802.11g router with WPA2 and a pre-shared key without issue
  • I've recently upgraded my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM; but the issue was present before the upgrade.
  • The computer in question doesn't seem to have any hardware compatibility issues; The machine dual-boots Fedora, and Fedora connects to the network with no problems.

I see the network in the list of available network, but Windows identifies it as a WEP 802.11g network. Every now and then it will connect, but after that point it will tell me something to the effect of "the saved settings for this network do not match the network." It will usually lose my internet access on that computer after that point.

I'm thinking it's driver-related or that it may be something in the OS itself. I just can't figure out why it wouldn't be able to recognize it for a WPA 802.11n network.

Any ideas?? Thanks all!

--edit--

Updated to include dual-booting information

Edited by ElliotFriend, 11 May 2011 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements