Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC too fast for old program

• Please log in to reply

kelvinb

kelvinb

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I know this is a long shot but can anyone guide me on the following:

we maintain a large fleet of Motorola Radio equipment for which our field service laptop is fine ( Acer something or other running XP ) but there are still a few installations out there where my laptop cant work ( too fast perhaps ???? ) so we have to use an old coal fired DOS or Windows 3.1 machine back at the workshop - we even keep an AMSTRAD PC510 as a last resort.......

Is there a way of slowing down my laptop so I can program these old units ???

I have tried DOSBOX and CPU Killer but get data collisions...........

help cracking this would help out a lot of radio techs.

thanks for looking

M a r t i n

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello kelvinb:

Most likely I am misinterpreting

• Are we talking about connectivity between Motorola and Acer?
  • What's the model of Motorola?

kelvinb

kelvinb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

yes - we are connecting the Motorolas to our Acer via a Radio Interface Box ( RIB ) normally via a serial port but as the Acer has only USB connections we utilise a USB / Serial lead as well.

We can program all modern Motorolas but struggle big time with the likes of GM300, GM900 which are normally DOS based programs but there is a windows 3.1 program which will work as well on the steam driven computer at the workshop.

As of yesterday we had success with the Motorola GM350 which was launched about the same time as the 900s

When trying to read / write to the 900s we either get Data Collision or checksum errors - as of the 300s when get diddly squat.........

thanks for looking

M a r t i n