Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bluescreen problem

• Please log in to reply

ross616

ross616

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, I've been having some problems with my laptop over the last few days. I'm not entirely sure if it is malware related so I have put it into the section for my OS. when I boot up, it runs sluggishly and then eventually goes to a black screen with a blue banner across the bottom saying it is dumping the physical memory, stays on this screen for 10-20 seconds then reboots and does it again. However, before it crashes again it comes up with the following screen:

----------
Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown
Problem event name: Bluescreen
OS version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
locale ID: 2057

Additional Information about the problem
BCCode: C4
BCP1: 00000001
BCP2: 8AB5BCEC
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
----------

The window also had a section for files that describe the problem, listing a .sys and a .xml file, though I wasn't able to have a look at the files themselves or even write down their names before it crashed again.

At the moment it appears to be running after leaving it switched off for a day, but it has appeared to fix itself before then the problem has returned a day or two later.

I have started uninstalling all programs that have been installed within the last few weeks and cleaning out my downloads folder just to be on the safe side, but Avast doesn't seem to find any threats.

I am currently using Vista SP2 but looking to upgrade to 7 if it isn't a hardware problem, however the built in system recovery tool (for a fresh install) doesn't seem to work, when I first ran it, it said it failed to initialise (or something to that effect, I'm unsure of the exact wording but essentially one of the files it needs failed to load) and then went to the safe mode login page where it would not recognise my username and password.

Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated, as the laptop is only 3 months old and was a 21st birthday present.

Thanks in advance
Ross

Advertisements

ross616

ross616

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
update: MSSE just flagged up a trojan, Alureon, and I have now removed it