Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor keeps shutting off

• Please log in to reply

dskirv

dskirv

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My home does not have air conditioning. When the temperature outside gets into the 70's and 80's, it heats up the house. Apparently my monitor does not like heat, as it keeps shutting off. I have to unplug the monitor for 15 - 20 seconds and when I plug it back it, it will come on again. However, it only stays on 5-10 minutes and then it shuts down again. Anyone else have this problem? Do I need a new monitor? Hate to think that I have to spend $3-4 grand for A/C just to keep my monitor from shutting down!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
:)

Well, note it is not uncommon to need at least a small window air conditioner for the computer room. If the ambient (room) temperature exceeds 80°F, you may need to consider getting one. It will add to your electric bill, but not near as much as central AC for the whole house.

That said, monitors are usually pretty tolerant of heat such that I am surprised it is the monitor shutting down, and not the computer. Are you sure it is the monitor shutting down, and not the computer? If the computer shuts down, the monitor will sense the signal is lost, and go to sleep. Are you monitoring your temperatures?

If the monitor uses a exterior power block, make sure it is clean of heat trapping dust, and you might position it so air can circulate underneath it too.

If me, I would borrow another monitor and try that. It the 2nd monitor does it, you know it is your computer, or its graphics solution. In the meantime, unplug your computer from the wall and open the side panel of the case. If the interior is covered in a layer of heat trapping dust, it needs to be cleaned out, and kept clean - especially in warmer months. Be sure to touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static from your body BEFORE reaching in.

Once clean, you may need to blast a desk fan inside the case.

dskirv

dskirv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's definitely the monitor and not the computer. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them and see if it makes a difference before I consider installing a window air conditioner.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

It's definitely the monitor and not the computer.

How do you know?

If it really is the monitor, I would get a new monitor before an AC.

dskirv

dskirv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The comoputer remains running after the monitor shuts off. If I'm watching a video with sound, it keeps playing after the monitor shuts down.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That only "suggests" the computer is fine. If it is the computer's graphics solution (card or on-board) that is failing, then the rest of the computer can still work fine, but there will be no signal to the monitor, and again, it goes to sleep.

dskirv

dskirv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh, okay. Is there anyway I can check the graphics card myself? Or do I have to take the tower to a technician look at it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The only way to test a graphics card is to try it in another computer, or try another in yours. It is much easier to try another monitor first. If you swap in a new card and it still does not work, you still don't know if it is the monitor.

dskirv

dskirv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I appreciate all the advice you have given me today. I will try another monitor.